NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 Synscan

Hi folks

I'm looking for some advice. I have my 30th birthday coming up in November which I'm hoping for a new mount possibly with GOTO capabilities.

The mount is for my 200p SkyWatcher.

I just have a couple of question to ask all you experienced skywatchers:

1. Will a SkyWatcher EQ5 be strong enough to hold the 200p?

2. Is the SkyWatcher Synscan system easy to use and worth the extra cost?

Many thanks

Deacon

EQ5 will take the 200P but its really happy sat on the HEQ5 Pro. Worth noting that the brand new price of an EQ5 Synscan will buy a secondhand HEQ5 Pro.

And yes the Synscan system is worth the money. Easy to use, quality motors and plenty of features.

No, of course your first few efforts might seem like it is difficult but your soon master it, i did.

I have the 200p on an EQ5 and have no issues at all with it and enjoy it even more with it linked up to Stellarium.

Dont be to put of with spot on polar alignment if your not doing photo's, i took the polar scope out and just get polaris in the hole and it works great for me, but have since improved my method.

Like me if you have any problems get on here and ask away, i learnt all i know from the helpful guys from this site.

I have the 200p on an EQ5 and have no issues at all with it and enjoy it even more with it linked up to Stellarium.

Just a quick one bud,

I've got the same setup as yours and im just wondering what's involved with linking it up with Stellarium?

Is there any point even if it has Synscan?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

You need a serial cable to connect it to a usb on your laptop, i believe the latest version of Stellarium has the ascom drives with it which is what is needed to control your scope, if not its a free download, plenty of info on how to do it on here or the net.

The advantage i found is that i find a lot my objects to view, have a look around Stellarium, click on an object and away the scope goes, yes you can do this via the handset but i find it so much easier and more intresting.

I guess there are a lot more reasons to use it and would be nice to other peoples thoughts on why or why not to use it, but for me it works

Archived