NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two more spectra from the last couple of clear nights

I used rspec, although i also have vspec which I am trying to learn how to use. Rspec was very easy to use and came with a set of videos to help set things up.

I took the images with a star analyser on the front of my SXVF MX916 through a cas 5inch.

Kate

Thank you.

I'm not sure about the Meade chip size and capability, but i was told a black and white camera was better for detail than a colour one, not sure why, but if Merlin66 is around I'm sure he could give you more information.

Kate

Pete, Kate, et al,

You should get similar results with the DSI IIc, but unfortunately as Kate notes, the resolution of the colour chip (due to the Bayer colour matrix) is about 70% that on a similar mono camera.

You don't need a colour camera to generate a colour spectrum...when calibrated, a full colour version can be seen with one click of an icon!

The resolution of a SA100 (or the Rainbow Optics) grating really comes down to the spacing between the grating and the CCD chip - the greater the spacing, the greater the dispersion and the longer the spectrum image on the CCD. There are limitations - a bit like excess magnification when observing - where there is no further improvement, this is usually around the 70-80mm spacing.

I used the MX916 for a long time, as well as a DSI II (mono) - very good results. The Atik 314L I now use is even better!

Hope this helps.

Archived