Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sterling Plossl's

Spec-Chum

The 12.5mm and 25mm Sterling are superb. Not owned one but have used them. A friend has those two and is convinced they are on a par with the 11mm and 25mm TV Plossls he owned and sold (as a result of the Sterling being so good). I thought the 25mm was especially good.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take some cash just in case but i bet you have been lucky.

I can only assume I have as they tried to deliver straight to the door before taking it to PO. I'm sure the parcel deliverers don't take the cash, do they?

Had a very quick play last night and I was very impressed!

Very sharp and contrasty. Very contrasty but slightly out of shape stars at the very edge (and I mean VERY edge).

Did I mention it was contrasty? Even without a properly cooled scope the contrast was amazing, the Ring and Dumbell stood out like never before (BST comes close, but this beats that)

One negative tho, the lack of a twist up eyecup means my eyelashes made a right mess of the top lense after just a small usage. The lack of eye relief didn't bother me, but to see the whole view you really need to right up to the lense.

Well, I assume its not a twist up eyecup, its very tight if it is?

so all you paid for the EP was the price shown on ebay? no postage or extra costs or anything? i was going to get bst's but i might go for these now if they are that good. what would you say? might go for the 25mm to replace my stock one. or should i get the 17.5 or whatever it is?

urgh. ive just been reading about import vat and duty. you dont pay duty of items less than £135 but you pay import vat on everything above £15 in value unless its a gift and then its over £40.

i might not bother. stick to the bst's i think. least then i will know that im only going to be paying £47 or £41.

would be alright if my budget wasnt so tight.

thanks for your replies tho. appreciate it.

clear skies

Went out last night with mine (25, 17 & 12.5mm) in the Equinox 80. Just brilliant!! They barlow/powermate well too. I also didn't get charged import duty/vat either, but I did order them all separately.

Richard.

Hi RME, can you confirm I'm not an idiot and the eyecup bit on the 12.5 really is that low and doesn't twist up or get higher in some way?

As mentioned, it's not an real issue but the top lens did get grubby after only a short time. The views, however, were fantastic!

Hi Spec-Chum,

No, don't worry you're not an idiot! The 'eye-cup' is that low and it doesn't twist up. I find the eye-relief is fine for me (no specs), I just need to spend more time with them. They will get a bit 'grubby' if you want to use the full FOV of the eyepiece. I don't get this with my orthos as they have a smaller eye lens. I might just have to get the 20mm to complete my set of Sterlings, especially as they still have free postage!!! :grin:

Richard.

PS. I'm just up the road from you in West Yorkshire (Emley)

urgh! i wish they never gave me a tracking number. ive been checking it everyday, sometimes twice a day, but its still stuck at their sorting office at jfk airport a week later :( this is killing me. do they not know who this package is for??? lol.

buying through amazon takes the biscuit aswell. ordered my pocket sky atlas last friday and was only despatched yesterday. i totally hate waiting for stuff :mad:

Lol don't panic, once It's processed through Jamaica NY its on the plane and the tracking stops. Should be with you any day.

yeah just figured that out as the postman has just been with it. :D over zee moon. he had my pocket sky atlas too.

the eyepiece looks really good quality. cant wait to give it a whirl. please be clear tonight (fingers, toes and other things crossed)

thanks for starting this thread. would not of got one of these otherwise.

clear skies

Martin

Archived