NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An expert assessment please

I've recently bought an Atix 460 OSC camera and am learning how to get the best from it. I would be very grateful if the expert imagers could have a look at this an give me an honest assessment of how I can improve the image (whether through set up or processing).

This is only a short exposure time and I know that loadsmore subs will give me more processing flexibility.

Details: 9 x 3 minutes - WO 123 FLT with FR so@4.8. Atik 460OSC with an IDAS filter.

Flats, but no darks or bias (when I tried using bias it made it worse!), stacked in DSS.

The processing has been fairly limited: levels and curves, and some Noel's actions (noise reduction and local contrast enhancement).

My stars look odd at 100% (but quite nice if I reduce the size :rolleyes: ),so any views on this will be particularly welcome.

Thanks

Helen

post-374-0-30702900-1343601285_thumb.jpg

Hi Helen,

Very nice result with this setup.

I don't know the Atik 460 OSC, but it looks a very capable camera, just like others in the Atik range.

I think you said it yourself 'This is only a short exposure time and I know that loadsmore subs will give me more processing flexibility' :smiley:

27 minutes gives you a very nice picture, but 2 hours would be a lot better.

Noise is the problem, as with most cameras, but the Atik's are very good at managing this with very well designed electronics.

Make the most of the cooling system ( I set at -5 degrees) at any time of the year. This will help with noise, along with darks and flats.

Your focussing looks pretty good, but it's worth spending time in getting this right (nothing worse than hours of work being binned because of bad focussing).

Hope that helps,

Archived