Persuading DSS to stack frames with off-round stars

I have a set of 60s subs of the Milky Way taking with my DSLR last night. I'm having real problems getting DSS to stack them though. It keeps saying it will only stack one frame. I think this is perhaps because the stars are ever so slightly off-round (not even trailing; the larger ones just show a slight bulge to one side).

Is there anything I can do that might persuade DSS to live with the problem and stack the frames anyhow just so I can get an idea of what it ought to have looked like?

Thanks,

James

Ahh OK.

ALl I can think of is trying MartinB's tutorial to reduce trails, it does work if you can find his website to see the pics.

Hopefully there is a trick in DSS which would make life easier

I would check it is finding the same stars each time. There may simply be too many! There is a star editing facility in DSS which shows you what it has actually detected in each sub (display the sub, click on the panel on the bottom right of the image).

NIgelM

• 2 weeks later...

DSS should stack any sub for which it has detected 8 or more stars... (assuming they're the same stars as other subs). As Nigel says, you can sometimes select a few more stars (that DSS wasn't sure about) in "edit stars" mode.

Archived