Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Super 10 and Super 25; MA or Plossl?

As the title really, does anyone know which they are?

I'm contemplating getting an NPL 30mm, or something similar, in the 30 - 32mm range as a finder EP as I find the supplied 25mm to be soft at the edges.

I know the NPL's are Plossl, so does anyone know what the edge performance would be like on the 30mm in my F6 scope?

Many thanks

Plossls would be a noticeable improvement over the MA's and the Vixen NPL's are nicely made plossls. Good value too. At F/6 they should work pretty well and the stars should be sharp across the majority, if not all, of the 50 degree apparent field of view.

If your query refers to the "super 10/25" eyepieces bundled with many Skywatcher telescopes, they are modified achromats (MA). A few Skywatcher models are bundled with "SP" eyepieces which carry "Super Plossl XXmm multicoated 52" printed on them and are thus clearly differentiated.

Yeah, mine just say Super xx so I was just checking if they were Plosll or MA before I got a Plossl.

I love my Seben Zoom for general stuff, but the FOV is too restricted at the lower mag end to be a particularly useful finder/wide FOV EP.

Cool, cheers :)

Naemeth, did you ever get a GSO 32mm? If so, what was that like? They're a few quid cheaper than the NPL...

I haven't managed to get hold of one. I decided for now on a Meade Series 4000 1.25" 26mm Super Plossl because there was one on ABS. I'll let you know on how it compares to the standard MA's, field is only slightly wider but exit pupil is bang on (which was why I was tempted). Once I've got used to the Meade, I will probably add a 32mm GSO and will let you know how it goes, but they do have a great reputation.

Looking into the meade 4000 32mm myself, actually. Don't want a 26mm as it's too close to my 25mm, which I'll be keeping.

NPL 30mm or 32mm Meade 4000 are favourites so far. Any know if these Barlow OK?

The eye relief of the NPL is 24mm, which is huge! I can't find specifications for the 32mm but would guess it is about 26.4mm (same ratio as the NPL as it is still a Plossl design), these probably wont Barlow well (in the sense you won't be able to have your eye up to the eyepiece) as Barlows mess with eye relief. I'll give my EP a try when it gets here, but I can't imagine it's a comfortable Barlowing experience.

The 15mm, 26mm and 32mm of the Meade 4000 Super Plossl's are said to be the best of the range, if you can get a 32mm for about £30 used, it might be worth it, you might save a bit by getting the GSO though, roughly the same eyepiece with different branding ;).

Hmm, good point. I guess you'll be hard pressed to find a decent 32(ish)mm that would Barlow well.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud at the mo, I'm quite happy with the stuff I've now got (including a Telrad delivered today!)

Hmm, good point. I guess you'll be hard pressed to find a decent 32(ish)mm that would Barlow well.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud at the mo, I'm quite happy with the stuff I've now got (including a Telrad delivered today!)

I think you might if it had adjustable eye relief, although I'm not aware that one exists.

I think you might if it had adjustable eye relief, although I'm not aware that one exists.

If you use a Meade TeleXtender or a Tele Vue Powermate they don't change the eye relief. These devices cost around 3-4x as much as a Vixen NPL though so it would be less expensive to buy additional eyepieces in the shorter focal lengths.

If you use a Meade TeleXtender or a Tele Vue Powermate they don't change the eye relief. These devices cost around 3-4x as much as a Vixen NPL though so it would be less expensive to buy additional eyepieces in the shorter focal lengths.

I didn't know the TeleXtender did the same thing as the Powermates, but I was aware that was the main advantage of Powermates :) (that and the TeleVue colours scream quality).

Archived