Skywatcher EQ 3.2

Hello

Can anyone tell me why, contrary to the instructions, my mount does not have adjusting screws for aligning the polarscope. In fact the polar scope appears to be locked in by some very small recessed set screws - all that turns is the focus ring. If the polar scope is fixed as it appears, I can't see how I am supposed to do a polar alignment.

David

Quite so. Mine has knurled screws instead of grub screws and I have to realign it every so often because they're so easy to catch in clothes etc. I should replace them with grub screws. I shall get some stainless ones ordered...

James

Ok thanks I see. But should the entire polarscope rotate and withdraw on this mount? I ask because the black tube appears fixed/locked within the RA axis. However when I unscrew the eyepiece of the polar scope a little insert falls out with the Octans, Big Dipper and Cassiopeia patterns etched onto it. I thought the polarscope body was supposed to rotate within the RA axis - otherwise how is the constellation screen supposed to rotate? The rig is new and I don't want to force anything - but maybe the polarscope has somehow got locked in?

David

The entire thing polar scope assembly will unscrew and can be removed. It includes more than fell out :)

Astro_Baby has some good details on the whole process which would be worth reading, though I tend to short cut her final steps. I'll find the link and post it.

James

OK. Its out!! The scope was done up rather too tightly to turn without very, very minor additional torque applied with a small plastic strap wrench - no damage or marks but a question mark over manufacturer's quality control?

Many thanks. Will appreciate a link to simplified alignment procedure.

David

Most of my alignment procedure is as Astro_Baby describes it, until at the end it gets to aligning the reticle so it is in the correct position for Polaris relative to the itme and date rings. There I take a somewhat easier (in my view) path following the procedure here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/65515-polaris-in-transit/#entry637957

James

Archived