Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helios Quantum 6 EP Question

Hi All

I'm due to pick up a Helios Quantum 6.2 [20/30/37] soon and am wondering if it's possible to use any particular non-propriatary EPs with them.

I've read conflicting opinions and would be grateful if anyone on here could share their experience.

Many Thanks

I think they are identical to the TS and APM 100mm semi-apo with the same EPs with 1.25" fitting. According to APM they should come to focus with almost all commercially available 1.25mm EPs. Whether they could handle high magnification (e.g. using a 2.5mm EP) or start to show vignetting if you put two 24mm Panoptics in there, I couldn't say.

Thanks for your reply Michael, I think the one I'm due to pick-up is very similar to the TS and APM only the EPs are very slightly smaller than 1.25, it maybe an older model.

I've read that one guy was using WO binoviewer EPs in his and others have managed to put a shim around 1.25 EPs to make them fit.

I can't see the logic in making propriatary EPs that are nearly 1.25 but not quite.......doesn't make sense.

It would make it a much more desirable BT if it took 1.25 like the 7.4.

Now I'm wondering if a quality 100mm refractor with binoviewers might be the better option, although I do prefer DSO and I wouldn't get as much light with this set up.

Without trying out the two set-ups, side by side for a few weeks.........it's very hard to tell.

Which is a problem we all face, I would say.

Archived