Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

July 15, 2012: H-alpha session for the kids and relatives

As we were celebrating my son Frank's tenth birthday with his grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins, the sun came out so I quickly set up the H-alpha scope and showed them all the sun. Quite a few prominences showed up on the limb, but none as big a s few days ago. There was one very delicate arc showing, and several "small" more-or-less linear prominences. A huge, dark, horse-shoe shaped region showed blow the largest sunspot. Quite soon I had half a dozen kids bouncing around excitedly around the garden, especially after I pointed out that even the smallest prominece they could see could swallow the earth whole. I was happy that everybody could quickly find the sweet-spot of the EP (Pentax XF8.5, giving 47x in the little Lunt). It is clearly a very good EP for inexperienced observers.

All in all a nice little extra for Frank's birthday party

Archived