Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binocular tripod mount question

JacobP

I am looking into purchasing a tripod to hold my 10x50 binoculars steady for extended viewing and am wondering whether people have a view on which mount works best with binoculars -- the standard video panning type with two independent axes of motion or a ball and socket mount which allows free movement in all directions. On its face the ball mount seems like it would allow easier smoother movement, but I am wondering how good it will be for high elevation aiming. It's not clear that these mounts allow a full 90 degrees of upward pan. Not really interested at this point at anything so complicated as a T mount or anything like that. Thanks.

I always use my 10x50 free-hand, preferably from a reclining chair. Wonderful way to relax, and easy on the neck. Tripod-wise I would either go for a tall monopod: quick to set up, a lot of freedom of movement. I use a parallelogram mount for my 15x70 bins: slower to set up, but very handy for sharing sights with others: point the thing at something, lower the bins to the kids' height and it is still pointing at the same spot. These are not cheap, but I made one myself. It can be found here:

I would go for a video pan head, although 10x50's should be perfectly usable hand held. I've used a Manfrotto 501 for my 16x70's for a number of years - the cheaper and lighter Manfrotto 701 would be fine for your 10x50's if you really need one. Ball heads don't usually come with panning handles and aren't really designed for that purpose.

Thanks for the replies. At this point I'm just trying to get acquainted with using the bins, so not trying to get too fancy. I do use the binos mainly with my hands and they work great, but sometimes you want that steady view to see more detail or more easily split binaries (and to give your arms a rest). I have been using a cheapo freebie tripod, which has allowed me to see how much more detail you get when you use one, but it's a pain to use because the plastic mount is weak and sags under the weight of the binos.

I'm 6' tall so I'd like a large tripod and was thinking that something like a pistol grip ball mount would be good because you could unlock the mount with one hand and swivel the bins with the other, and then when you're aimed, just release the pistol grip. Something like

http://www.amazon.com/Ravelli-APGL4-Professional-Tripod-Adjustable/dp/B003SQEAY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341840746&sr=8-1&keywords=ravelli+tripod

, which looks like a good value. It's a heavy tripod, but I wouldn't mind getting something that could be used for something heavier eventually. I see myself using it around the home, not lugging it too far.

The video panning style requires multiple actions to lock the mount, although I suppose that you really only need to lock the altitude axis with the panning stalk -- the azimuth shouldn't move so shouldn't need to be locked.

I had been thinking about the monopod as well. The mirror mount is kind of cool -- I had wondered if somebody had created some sort of periscope like device to let you look up comfortably. Though I think that would flip the orientation of everything, making it a little hard to move around or recognize what you're looking at. Part of the fun of the bins is that the image is not flipped, so everything looks like it does to your eye. Starhopping with my newtonian is such a chore because it's all reversed.

I decided to go with the monopod + pistol grip ball mount as suggested by Steve above and see how that works out. I'm going to get a 70" monopod and with the added height of the pistol grip, I'm hoping it should let me observe without much stooping. I figure the monopod will be light and good for grabbing and going, so it'll be useful even if I decide later to get the tripod. If the monopod proves all I need, then no need to bother with the tripod. Thanks for everybody's suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...

Closing the loop on this topic, after getting the monopod and ball grip I did find the monopod helpful, but it still did not provide the steady view that I really wanted. There was obviously much less shaking than without the monopod, but still shaking evident. So I went ahead and purchased a tripod as well. I got a 70" tripod so that when paired with the ball grip mount, I can look up in the sky from a standing position without having to stoop. I find the tripod helpful for sharing, too, since I can point the bins at an object and then other people can look without having to locate the object themselves. I've been using the tripod a lot more than the monopod and been so enjoying using the bins that I sprung this weekend for a higher end set of 15x70s (Orion Resoluxes, which look to be equivalents to the Oberwerk Ultras). I retained the monopod though and expect I will use it, especially when traveling.

Archived