Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and Venus - 7 July 2012

DarkerSky

Got lucky with the weather this morning. Woke at 3am and my eastern sky was clear, so popped out my 'grab n go' 8.5" scope and waited for Jupiter and Venus to clear the trees. Jupiter was first to pop out from behind its leafy shield by about 4.15am. The dawn light was growing quickly by this point, but I could just make it out naked eye. Quickly swung my scope into action and got this:

Jupiter-7July2012-1.jpg

8.5" x173 magnification

Neodymimum filter

03.30UT

System I: 159 degrees

System II: 181 degrees

Seeing: II - IV

South Top

The initial view was stunning. Struck lucky with my timing as the GRS was on the disc just past the meridian. It was clearly seen as a lighter hollow, just like it has been for around a year or so now. The SEB itself seemed to turbulently push up and splay out on the GRS left-edge. Vague baniding was seen in the SEB itself.

The big 'discovery' was the broad and massively disrupted NEB. I clearly made out two components to it, separated by a lighter zone. The main feature was a dark linear cap on the southern edge of the band bordering the EZ. It was pinched up into the EZ almost at the same longitude as the GRS. The seeing unfortunately deteriorated through the obs, so I could not nail down any fine detail. A darker area in the northern part of the NEB close to the right edge was identified though.

By the time I stopped observing Jupiter the sun was at the horizon, yet I could still make out the dwindling light of Venus. Moved my scope over to it and oh boy, what a sight! A beautiful crescent of light met my eyes. Seeing was poor as the sun rose above the horizon, but I perservered and got this sketch.

Venus-7July2012-1.jpg

8.5" x173 magnification

Neodymimum filter

04.05 UT

Seeing: IV

South Top

There was a real fuzziness to the terminator, which gave the lit portion along the terminator a duskiness. It was most noticeable along its central portion. Also managed to get a vague extension to this duskiness in a couple of places down to the lower right.

Stopped my obs session at about 5.30am, just as a dawn mist rolled over and blocked my view. A great morning - and good to see both planets for the first time in their 2012-13 apparitions.

Excellent observation, I will be in France in a couple of weeks targeting Jupiter ........

PS - well done for getting up so early :smiley:

Thanks David. Getting up early on a summer morning is something I've always liked doing. Not so keen come winter! Hope you get some decent Jupiter-time in France.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Jupiter again and maybe attempt sketching it.

A lot of truth in 'the early bird catches the worm' with this one!

Haha...yes, caught the worm! Jupiter is always so special. Always so much going on.

Archived