Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 6826 - Blinking Planetary Nebula in Cygnus

DarkerSky

Opportunities to get out under the stars have been few this summer. I did manage to grab this during a slight break in the June rain. It's NGC 6826 - the blinking planetary nebula in Cygnus. Got it on 24-25 June in my 12" scope.

NGC6826-BlinkingPlanetary-Negative.png

The Pl was obvious at low power. Popped in my 9.7mm EP to give me x124 for this sketch. Checked the view with an OIII but it washed out the intricateness of the image. Opted instead to sketch it without a filter. The Pl appeared as a slight ghostly blue colour. The Mag 11 central star was easy, and I did manage to see a darker 'clearing' encircling the star, buffering it from the main gaseous ring.

Apparently it gets its 'blinking' name from the dulling effect you get when you stare at it directly. I'm no expert but I guess it is a contrast effect between the central star and the duller diffuse material around it. When your eyes focus on the light of the central star it, in effect, dulls the surrounding nebula.

Great sketch, Seb and thank you for sharing it with us. I tried to sketch the same DSO some weeks back which can be viewed here: and can see by your positive image that you get a lot more detail. I also tried the object with a UHC filter and although it brought the object out a little, I decided to do the sketch - like you - without the filter in place. Look forward to seeing more of your discoveries.

Archived