NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEADS UP! Excellent value starter binocs on FLO

I picked up a pair of the 8x40 versions of these for my son to use on a recent wildlife trip to South Africa. He was really impressed with them as was I when I took them birding a couple of days ago. My usual tool of choice is an old pair of Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30's which, despite their somewhat battered condition, have excellent optics. The Helios 8x40's compared well to the Zeiss and were a little brighter of course. From now on I'll be using the Helios Naturesport 8x40's and my wife the Zeiss 8x30's as they are more compact and a little lighter.

While the 8x40's are a little limited in aperture for astronomy, the 10x50 versions would be ideal I would think.

Thanks John.

I have actually bought them for my wife so we shall just have to see how she gets on with the weight of them but she goes to the gym and works out a lot and she's probably fitter than I am! If she enjoys coming out with me but feels the weight is a problem then I'II probably get a lighter pair and keep the 10x50's for myself.

Looking forward to trying these just to compare with what I'm used to using. I work on the Pilot boats in Devonport so my boat has to have a pair of bino's on board by law, the problem is that my company supplied us with a cheap no brand marine bino which isn't much use for astronomy (not that I spend a lot of time stargazing when at work, honest!! :grin: ).

I'll be interested to hear what you and your wife think of them Mike :smiley:

As a non-glasses wearer I found I needed to have the eye cups in the furthest extended position for max viewing comfort. They twist up and have a subtle "click stop" at the end of their travel so they stay in position OK.

Archived