How tight for the mounting rings?

A basic question, but what better place to ask it!!

I've just taken delivery of my first refractor, a WO FLT98 with WO rings. How tight should I be screwing closed the rings on the OTA? Just enough to hold it, as tight as they go, or somewhere inbetween??? Is there any potential for damaging the OTA or pinching the optics if they're too tight?

Many thanks.

Congrats Alistair - that's a very nice scope you have there :)

Did you get the Altair finder in the end? For the rings I'd agree with the above - I tighten mine till they prevent any slippage and then an extra half a twist to be sure. It also depends on the weight of the kit you put on it. By the time you add a finder, guidescope, two cameras, filter wheels, and/or diagonals / large eyepieces you'll have added more weight than you think and be glad of the extra twist.

The tube rings will be well away from the optics and though possible it's highly unlikely they'll get pinched - that's more likely as a result of very cold temperatures but rarely happens - those WO tubes are very strong and pretty precise. I look forward to seeing your pics from this setup :)

Archived