Polaraling my NEQ6 Pro goto mount without seeing Polaris

Hey all.

I am wanting to start some small time Astrophotography but I have a very big problem. My balcony faces West and I can not see north, so I can not see Polaris.

As I have a NEQ6 PRO goto mount with a SW 200P DS on top of it, and right now a C90 Mak also, I am not very keen to move out in the open nature as it is a big move.

Is there anyone that could tell me if it is possible to "polaralign" close enough for lets say 5 minute exposures ?

If I do the 3 star or 2 star align and correct the mount to the stars, wont the mount track as being polaraligned after that ?

I am thinking about using the C90 mak or the ST80 I have as a Guidescope but unfortunately right now I only have an unmodded SPC900 cam.

So please give me ideas.

I would say that it is possible to "Guestimate" where polaris is and then alignment can be made from different stars however the problem is that without polar aligning the mount may be so far off it may take some time to get your alignment stars in view, but once this is done it should be ok.

And if you decide to auto guide at a later point then once you have carried out the 3 star alignment then it shouldnt be a problem in my opinion.

Kev

Archived