is a canon dlsr 1100d suitable?

I just wanted to know if a Canon DLSR 1100D camera is suitable for my telescope, which is a Nexstar 130 SLT? Would the telescope be able to take the weight of the camera? Would the telescope computer still be able to correctly find objects using skyalign despite the weight of the camera? Also, would the camera be easier to use than a Nesimage ccd, which is what I currently have (which needs to be connected to a bulky laptop)?

Thanks

The question of will you be able to get focus is more important as the small newts struggle with getting dslr's to focus as there isn't enough inward travel

If its anything like the skywatcher 130P then the answer is going to be no unless your willing to modify the scope

The fact the mount is alt/azi also brings into question whether it's worth using a dslr on the scope as your going to be very limited in what you can take pictures of

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Here's an image of an SLT130 with a DSLR attached. The scope may struggle a bit with the extra weight but DSLR camera are surprisingly light once you remove the lens. I use mine on a small 70mm travelscope refractor with no problems.

Having said this, you would be better off sticking with the Neximage CCD as its better suited to newts on Alt-Az mounts. It just means having to add a laptop to your outside astro gear.

post-5361-0-85538000-1341166885_thumb.jp

Now I'm worried...

I'm expecting delivery this week of a Canon 550d DSLR and I'm hoping to use it on an Celestron 130EQ. Will it focus correctly?

I'm no expert, but if you cant get the camera to focus it is not the end of the world. There are some simple fixes such as adding a barlow lens to the focuser or an extention tube or something. I'm sure someone with more understanding then i have will be along soon to advise.

I think most people are watching the football right now.

Parklife..............read this: Its a comment from another member (Gina) about getting a Celestron 130EQ to focus using a DSLR. You might find it useful.

I have a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ and have done DSLR imaging with it. The prime focus is too close to the focuser to permit use of a DSLR directly, but you can get round it. I took the lens cell from a Celestron x2 Barlow and screwed it into the thread on a T-adapter (think it's a Celestron too). I also needed an adapter to connect T-adapter to camera. These are specific to the make of camera. T-adapters are standard with a 42mm x 0.75mm pitch thread and tube to fit all 1.25" focusers.

You don't use the Barlow between camera and focuser in the usual way or you move the camera even further from the prime focus. But using just the lens part and not the tube you move the prime focus further out and can achieve focus.

The Celestron 130 EQ has a spherical mirror and won't give as good results as parabolic mirror as you get spherical aberration. But it's not bad for the money. I made good of use of it as a starter scope and it showed me where improvements were needed to move onwards and upwards :)

p.s.~~~another solution is to replace the focuser on the scope with a low profile focuser, but that is a bit of an expensive solution (about £100).

Paul

Paul, Thanks for the feedback - I have 2x Barlow so I'll give it a try!

Apologies for hijacking the thread..

Just read your latest post Paul. I think I have the same barlow combo that comes apart, so lets hope for some clear nights this week so I can practise!!

Usually the problem is one of the focuser not having enough inward travel to get the cameras sensor to the scopes prime focus. This is due to the depth of the DSLR's body, which is approx 55mm. The other alternative is Afocal Imaging, which involves the camera fitted, and the camera supported in a suitable cradle, to position the lens very close to an eyepiece in the scopes focuser. This configuration is more suited to high resolution planetary imaging, but it also requires extreme stability, and accurate tracking, because the focal ratio involved requires exposures of a duration that requires good tracking. Good method for double star imaging too, but Deep Sky photography is not easily achieved

using this setup. Although some have had success with it.

Ron.

Archived