Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New arrival - clouds inc to Herts

Stargazer_00

Got my new scope delivery today from FLO. Turned up as planned, well packaged ;)

I am now the proud owner of

Skywatcher Skyliner 250px (non flex)

Mey Adjustable Observation stool

HoTech SCA Laser Collimator (1.25)

Goes with a revelation 2inch EC barlow I got from Harrison Scopes the other week Im now a happy bunny :D

One thing, I did notice earlier when I was setting the finder scope; using a 25mm BST Explorer, I saw a clearly visible dark patch in the middle of the image.

Is this something I need to get used to or something I have done wrong? Obviously its the secondary mirror. Didnt see this effect pop up on my old 6 inch newt so not sure if its a feature of the larger scope.

Sounds as if you have chosen something reasonably close (1km) to use for alignment and that you have had to move the focuser out a fair bit. This will then start to show up the secondary a little.

When you use the scope on things like the moon, DSO's etc I would guess that you will have to change the focus a fair bit inwards, and the image of the secondary will therefore go.

Though even focued on infinity if you use an eyepiece that produces an exit pupil larger than 7.5mm you will see the shadow cast by the secondary mirror. Though not to worry as only a few eyepieces will do that on your scope. Exit pupil is calculated by dividing the telescope aperture by the magnification of that eyepiece.

Congratulations on receiving your new toys - very exciting and hope the weather will play along so can get the true benefit of all that aperture!

Would also be interested to hear about you get along with the Mey Chair.

Clear skies

James

• 3 weeks later...

So [finally] got first light last night. Had a break in the clouds from 10 to 11:30, even though the sun had not fully set even at 11:30 i was still able to get the long awaited first light on my new scope and gear :D

First and foremost the scope. Wow what an improvement! I'd argue these are the best sub 500 pound views around! Spent my short time looking at:

• M13. Great definition on 25mm and 18mm. Under a 5mm this was simply amazing (although fast moving) I could resolve clusters within the cluster! and a multitiude of other bright stars. What a visual treat
  • M81 & M82. These were actually viewed on the cusp of the twilight banding so I honestly didnt expect to see anything at all as the sky was still light blue to my adapted eye. However I managed to see the pair and clearly shape their shape (one elgongated and the other circular/disclike). Even with this massive magnutide loss from the sky I stil saw better views than I had with a 6 inch newt in the darkest winter night.

The build of the scope is fantastic. Its a good weight, can handle moving it fully assembled no problem. Will need to make a base for it to sit on as I dont want it sitting directly on grass. That plan is in motion.

Mey Observing Chair:

This thing is a little gem. Its very easy to adjust once you work out how to do it :) the instruction are in German so good luck unless you speak it. You do (or rather I did) have to move the restrictor clamps on the seats support bars. This allows the stool to descend almost to ground level. I find (because I'm quite tall) that I need to have the stool quite low. Having the stool lower allows me to keep my torso compeltely upright and thus reduces any stress on the back and neck. I realise from this that the ironing chairs on ebay i was looking at for £25-£40 would've been inadequate as they clearly could not have gone this low and I'd have back and neck pain. Definitely recommend this stool.

HoTech Laser colimator:

I doubt I'm the first to purchase this little gem so suffice to say it's quick (sub 5 minute both mirrors), simple and accurate. Makes larger dob collimation a 1 man task. 10/10

Now the one thing I noticed I need to sort out. The finderscope. I aligned the finderscope to the scope no problem, what I see in the crosshairs is what I see in the eyepiece. My problem is how I locate objects in the sky. On my old 6 inch 150p I used to look at the target star in my left eye and use my right eye on the finderscope. Id then move the telescope until the star in my left eye squared up with the same bright star in my eye eye/finderscope. worked perfectly everytime.

The same technique doesnt work on this telescope, What I see in my left eye (actual) does not line up at all when I find the same star in the finderscope, its about 2 - 3 degrees to the right of the image in the finderscope (right eye). this made it very dffiicult to find objects last night. Is there any way I can adjust the finderscope to orient in the way that I am accustomed to? I realise that I might need to get a TelRad, in fact i think I want one anyway but wont I then only have the same issue with the TelRad not lining up correclty to the finderscope?

Experience welcomed :)

P.S. My wife promptly kicked me in the shin when I came in and said 'roll on winter' :)

Mey Observing Chair:

This thing is a little gem............................Definitely recommend this stool.

Yep - thats what I was worried you might say . Now thats another item on the list !!!

Does anyone have a clue about my finder issue? It's a bit baffling to me.

I just put in an order for a TelRad from FLO 5 minutes ago so that'll be here soon :) I noticed that it can use a Dew shield with a Mirror. Does anyone use this feature? I like the idea of using a telrad with mirror for zenith.

Cheers, sorry for the bump.

Archived