Celestron 80ED refrator and Nikon DSLR

Hi all ...

I will be buying a friends Celestron 80ED refractor and mount. Initially i will be attaching my Nikon D700 to it for get some basic shots of the moon until i begin to understand things a little more.

Are the scope and DSLR a good match to do this with ?

Any advice most welcome ...

thanks

Keith

afaik its the same as the Skywatcher ED80 great scopes and will serve you very well, the only weakpoint is the focuser, but id not worry about that unless your using filterwheels and the such.

As long as you use a 2" adapter for the DSLR you shouldn't get too much Vignetting.

Have a look at my web site for some of my Deep Sky images taken from Tenerife.

They were all taken with a Skywatcher ED80 and a Nikon D300.

Check to make sure that you can reach focus with this camera / telescope combination.

You might need to get an extension tube (Like these: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/two-inch-focus-extension-tubes.html) to bring the camera out a little bit further to get that sweet spot.

Dave

The Celestron uses the same optics, but a smaller main tube (90mm OD instead of 100mm OD). The focuser is a not too bad rack and pinion, although it could use a few strips of teflon tape to remove the slop (mine did ;)). With the moon, unless you're shooting during daylight, you won't get an issue with vignetting... using 2" fittings should be good.

thanks for the information .. .very much appreciated.

As im using this 80ED scope on my Full frame D700 i assume i will be getting a full 600mm magnification. If i use a 1.5 cropped sensor like the Nikon D3200 will i then be getting a larger magnification like i do with my Nikon lenses .... does it work the same ?

Thanks again ... :)

Archived