Going for Televue NP101is APO (instead of SW Equinox ED 120)

I think they have already done it with the Esprit:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/esprit-professional-refractors/skywatcher-esprit-100-ed-5-element.html

That's if its made by the same company.

With that said I would have any Mercedes over it's equivalent Lexus. They are still not in the same league (the cars that is...I don't know much about telescopes).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toyota eventually gave rise to Lexus, so who says Synta won't create a premium division in twenty years time. With their shear volume of sales, I would not be surprise if Synta has an R&D budget larger than TV's.

Interesting point. I guess this is Skywatchers attempt at a Tele Vue NP101:

http://www.firstligh...-5-element.html

I've no idea how they would compare. From the feedback that Olly has provided I guess that anyone seriously contemplating a Tele Vue would be unlikely to consider a Skywatcher alternative though.

Edit: Sirius Bizness types quicker than I do !

Just a quick note in defence of Sky Watcher scopes. Here is a review of a Televue 76 and a Sky Watcher Equinox 80. http://scopeviews.co.uk/TV76vsEq80.htm, it still comes to the conclusion that the TV is better but the margin isn't that big at all. It appears to be just that bit better in all departments than the SW 80, which isn't bad considering the price difference of the two. Judging them by looking at the photo's in the review (which is little to go off admittedly) I would say that the difference between them is minimal. Still if you can afford an NP101 I would go for it without a doubt.

The difference is less noticable in a smaller scope, as the objective increases the difference increases. The SW80ED is a bit of a jewel in the SW crown. I have a SW reflector and mount and am a bit of a fan of their gear but TV is just a class above. I wish their gear was cheaper but hey ho we can all dream...

I thought the SW Esprit was a flop, but 20 years is a long time and plenty of time for Synta to carry out more R&D and sort out its QC. I don't think TEC existed 20 years ago but they are crafting some of the finest instrument on the market today. Then there was TMB who were designing and selling some of the best designs on the market up until a few years ago, but now ...

I agree, if you are buying a telescope today and can afford a TV, go for a TV. TV today is much better than Skywatcher.

However, I don't agree with the statement that Synta will never be able to catch up to or exceed TV. As with most technology and manufacturing issues, if you throw enough time and money at the problem, it will eventually go away.

Never mind, if you don't like it I will take it away and scrap it for you :grin: :grin:

TV = Quality = lifetime of pleasure = resale value if needed.

You will enjoy your lovely scope

:) Sure... Will send it to you (if I don't like it) :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

How much is the Tak FSQ106 in India?

In india we generally get Meade and Skywatcher (a few of Orion products). Even in those brands, some of the high value telescopes require a waiting period as those scopes have to be sourced. If we need any other brand we have to get them shipped from outside. Tak FSQ106 will cost 30% more than what it costs in US (and the same applies to all products including TV, SW or any other brand). The 30% extra is the import duty that need to be paid.

Regards,

Umasuthan.

.....the Tak FSQ106 will cost 30% more than what it costs in US (and the same applies to all products including TV, SW or any other brand). The 30% extra is the import duty that need to be paid.....

Same as in the UK then :rolleyes2:

In india we generally get Meade and Skywatcher (a few of Orion products). Even in those brands, some of the high value telescopes require a waiting period as those scopes have to be sourced. If we need any other brand we have to get them shipped from outside. Tak FSQ106 will cost 30% more than what it costs in US (and the same applies to all products including TV, SW or any other brand). The 30% extra is the import duty that need to be paid.

Regards,

Umasuthan.

I just checked Vixen's website and they have a distributor in India called Audo Viso Private LTD. in New Delhi.

http://www.vixen.co.jp/en/distributor.html

Since Vixen have a distributor in India, may be it's worth considering a Vixen AX103S as a potential alternative to the Televue. In UK the price of a AX103S with matched reducer (f5.6) is £2.8k, which is roughly half way between the £1.6k SW Equniox 120 with reducer (f6.4) and the £3.6k. NP101is (f5.4).

Keith, Thanks for the the link. The thing is, most of the distributors don't stock instuments that are priced morethan 1000 USD. If we have to get them through the distributor, there is a waiting period which on an average is 3 months. I spoke to the Vixen distributor and the situation is the same :(.

Now I have placed an order for TV 101is with a distrubutor in US who can do international shipment.

Thanks and Regards,

Umasuthan

I thought the SW Esprit was a flop, but 20 years is a long time and plenty of time for Synta to carry out more R&D and sort out its QC. I don't think TEC existed 20 years ago but they are crafting some of the finest instrument on the market today. Then there was TMB who were designing and selling some of the best designs on the market up until a few years ago, but now ...

I agree, if you are buying a telescope today and can afford a TV, go for a TV. TV today is much better than Skywatcher.

However, I don't agree with the statement that Synta will never be able to catch up to or exceed TV. As with most technology and manufacturing issues, if you throw enough time and money at the problem, it will eventually go away.

Two phrases stand out, here; 'crafted' and 'throwing money.' I think they describe two very different processes!!

Olly

Archived