Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another DSLR-LRGB reproces M101 (2011)

astrovirus

So last week I did another exmperiment on old data from last year (yeah the weather remains crappy) using the DSLR-LRGB workflow of Scott Rosen. This time I took one of my galaxy shots to see what could be done with such a subject. The effect isn't as stunning as with the Iris and its dustlanes, but I think it is an improvement, as I was able to do deconvolution and high-pass filtering to bring out more of the galaxy's details, as well as pull out the weaker parts of the spiral arm by stretching in the synthetic luminance data, although I should probably have masked the sharpening beter as the weak parts of the spiral arms also show some grainyness, and also visable in to much sharpness off the stars in front of the galaxy. Another benefit of this approach is that, just like in the Iris, the color noise is greatly reduced when increasing the saturation. As far as I (as a full blown color blind) can see, the colors of both the reproces and original version match up quite well and the noise is virtually abscent in the reprocessed image.

high res versions on my site: M101

Regards Tim

post-6675-0-90102400-1340438100_thumb.jp

post-6675-0-47404600-1340438122_thumb.jp

Hi Jesper and Gina,

Thanks for your compliments. Those techniques were over my head too, just a couple of weeks ago, but with the lousy weather and a great video tutorial from Scott Rosen I managed to pick it up quite quickly. This is only the second image I processed with a synthetic luminance made from the RGB data, but I think this substantially improves the quality off the resulting image, so I'll continue with this approach. In addition, it also makes several processing methods from the mono CCD imagers feasible with OSC data, such as deconvolution and high pass filtering.

Regards Tim

Archived