NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7000 with new 200L lens - oh my!

Widefield

I finally got a few minutes with my new Canon 200L f2.8 lens and my modded camera the other night. Desperate to test out the new kit I quickly did a rough focus and took a single shot of the North American nebula just to see what I would get. Wow - what a difference the new lens and modification make - it just picked up soooooo much red - and the lens seems truely first class - flat right to the edge. I think I am going to have fun with this!!

Unfortunately the clouds rolled in after this one shot so its all I could get, but here it is anyway. It is a single 10 minute sub with a Canon 450D (modded), 200L lens stepped down to f4, CLS LP filter, unguided on an EQ6. I tried using ISO 200 to see if a lower ISO may help with the dynamic range and improve retention of star colour (perhaps at the expense of noise) so I will see how that goes when I get chance to try some other settings. All I did to it was a very rough histogram stretch and a bit of colour balance adjustment.

Its obviously VERY noisy as its a single shot, and there is a horrible purple gradient on the left that could be taken care of with flats etc (not to mention the poor framing and foucsing), but I am quite excited by the potential it seems to show.

Be gentle - its the first image I have ever posted :smiley:

post-23358-0-26400500-1340302078_thumb.j

Congrats on your new lens.

I am now using mine wide open at f2.8 after a slight change to the method I use for focusing...

There's an explanation and example starfield pics taken at f2.8 in a thread in the imaging tips and techniques board

Here's a link to it...

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/150462-Canon-200/2.8L-can-you-get-decent-star-shapes-at-f2.8#entry1514700

and here's a link to some samples at f2.8

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/150858-Couple-of-"shallow"-images-with-the-200/2.8-at-2.8#entry1518535

Peter...

Very nice!

I've also just started using that lens with a modded camera, it is a stunning lens. Something like NGC7000 you can just sit and look at the image on screen and constantly find new detail.

Thinks...... that area of the sky is pretty crowded right now judging by the number of people imaging around cygnus right now ;)

Congrats on your new lens.

I am now using mine wide open at f2.8 after a slight change to the method I use for focusing...

There's an explanation and example starfield pics taken at f2.8 in a thread in the imaging tips and techniques board

Here's a link to it...

http://stargazerslou....8#entry1514700

and here's a link to some samples at f2.8

http://stargazerslou....8#entry1518535

Peter...

Thanks Peter. I read your thread on this with interest a few days ago - I will certainly be giving it a try.

Paul.

I have this lens too and couple it to a one shot colour CCD camera - it is a beaut of a lens. Well captured with this one and plenty of targets to take advantage of now.

I would love to hook this lens up to a OSC CCD when funds allow. Its on the (long) list! Out of interest, have you ever experienced any issues with the quite large sampling produced by having this lens attached to large pixel cameras (I notice you have the SXVF-M25 that would give around 8 arcsecs/pixel I think)? I know the theory does not always result in issues in images as there are so many other factors at play (and I have never seen a square star on any picture on here!) but was curious if you have ever had any issues with that sort of combination.

Archived