SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is this a disaster?

Hi All - it's been a while

After very busy period at work & home, coupled with recent weather, I finally thought I'd manage to get the scope out last night for the first time in about forever.

Just as I was moving it onto the patio the finder scope decided to launch itself & landed with a horrible 'thunk'. Have subsequently discovered that my darling wife had let our Godson use it to play with!!! There doesn't appear to be any damage - other that a small round bit of metal (approx 4mm in diametre) that was loose inside. I've looked through it briefly last night & it seems OK - but I know from experience that they don't build things with spare parts - anyone any idea what this part is & what function it might perform. It's mainly for my own curiosity as I don't see any way of being able to re-attach it. It's the skywatcher finderscope that comes with the Explorer 200.

thanks

Kermit,

That sounds like the threaded band that keeps the main lens in place. I think the lens will stay in place without it but another knock and the lens will probably move out of position. If you unscrew the top of the finder you should be able to see what I mean...the piece thats moving should be up tight against the main lens.

Gaz

Thanks guys - I'll try Gaz's suggestion when I get home.

Legion - you would have thought this would be a lesson I'd of learned by now. Still the wife is now learning that when she plays with (read - breaks) my things I need new things to cheer me up! - will be looking at FLO for a 'consolation pressie'

I've just taken it apart in the cold (in fact very hot) light of day - and the results were quite amazing.

Theres a sprung silver pin (sorry no idea what the techie term is) that locates the finder in the mount. It appears that last night the scope landed on this pin (it's quite badly scuffed) and the impact turned the pin into a pretty effective hole punch as it stamped through to the inside - end result a 4/5mm hole in tube of finder - I'm pretty much as newbie as it gets but I can't imagine thats a good thing! I will now be renegotiating aforementioned consolation pressie.

I've just taken it apart in the cold (in fact very hot) light of day - and the results were quite amazing.

Theres a sprung silver pin (sorry no idea what the techie term is) that locates the finder in the mount. It appears that last night the scope landed on this pin (it's quite badly scuffed) and the impact turned the pin into a pretty effective hole punch as it stamped through to the inside - end result a 4/5mm hole in tube of finder - I'm pretty much as newbie as it gets but I can't imagine thats a good thing! I will now be renegotiating aforementioned consolation pressie.

Blimey , must have been some force to punch a hole in the tube :shock:

The end of my pin is round. If there is no damage to the optics all you have to do is patch the hole with something and just make sure the spring loaded pin presses on a different part of the tube.

John

Archived