NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ultra Wide Field Camera and DSO Finder

Gina

Before I can run experiments with this camera I need to sort out a way of cooling the hot TEC surface. With the present box the TEC is too far in to attach an external air cooled heatsink and maintain a sealed unit. I have a shallower box on order as one solution. The other possibility is water cooling and I have a north bridge water block on it's way from Hong Kong. I guess I could do the tests without the box but I don't like having the camera innards exposed to the elements longer than I have to. The more the camera is exposed the more dust is likely to get in. Meanwhile, I'm doing darks runs with my scope camera (as detailed in another thread).

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made some progress on the test rig for cooling. Made up brackets to hold the new waterblock using a supplied cross piece that goes across the block to hold it in place using screws at the ends. I've also cut notches in one side of the box to take the plastic tubes for the coolant. With this arrangement I can accommodate either one or two TECs. I'll post a photo later. Meanwhile, this is the water block - 40x40x10mm.

401821_200935_17_17054276_conew1.jpg

Hi Gina, I'd personally be a little worried about leaks on the upper tube in your photo :shocked:

That's because the tubes were only slipped on to check the alignment.

Now have water cooling working and also power control to the TEC. I'm using one 12v 37W TEC. About half power gives around an EXIF T of 0C while full power is producing about -12C. Currently temperature control is manual - I haven't yet added the 1-wire digital temperature sensors. The black tape around the cooling tubes and bits of draught excluder are to keep the light out when the lid is replaced so that I can do dark subs in daylight.

post-13131-0-41380700-1342807077_thumb.j

Archived