NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Suitable mount for SW Equinox ED 120

saptharishi

Hi,

I am new to stargazing and have decided to go for Equinox ED 120 (that will be my first scope). I am wondering if HEQ5 Pro will be suitable for this scope (or should I go for EQ6 pro which I think is heavier).

I would like to hear from the member on their experience who are using Equinox ED 120 with HEQ5 Pro.

Also, I want to thank all the members of SGL as these forums were instrumental in kindling my interest in stargazing and deciding on my scope :)

Regards,

RU

Are you going to use it for visual or imaging? I currently have a SW 120ED on an HEQ5 along with a load more bits and pieces. I'm sure that the ED Pro isn't much lighter than the Equinox. For visual it will be fine. For imaging, depending how hooked you get on it, you may like a bigger mount just as a bit of future proofing.

Sara, I will be using it for viewing (at least to start with), but getting motivated to do some imaging too in future. That is one of the reasons I chose to go with Equinox. I see two replies going in favour of EQ6 (if not against HEQ5 Pro). That means I need to pat USD 500 more :( I am encouraged to to see you have been using HEQ5 without much issues with ED pro :)

Hi, I have a North Group 127mm Triplet APO and its easily carried by my Ioptron IEQ45 mount , very stable and its a breeze to set up and use , GOTO up and running in under 5 miniutes , I love this GPS , it makes set up a breeze . The triplets like mine are quite a bit heavier than the Synya 120mm APO's so it will be a good match .

One more thing , the IEQ45's are so sexy .

Give it some thought .

I dont think you will be dissapointed .

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, in this parts of the world we don't have too many options to go with :( . We generally get Meade and Skywatcher instruments and to a little extent Orion varients of SW. I will definetely ask about the iEQ45 mount.

In one of the reviews (not SGL) it was mentoined that HEQ5 pro is more accurate than EQ6 pro. Any idea if those claims are valid.

Thanks again.

Hey Sara, Thanks for posting the link to the thread. It was interesting to read. I think the answers are out there, and now that makes my job of deciding even thougher. Sometiemes ignorance is bliss!!! LOL... :lol:

Here is my 'Saxon' 150mm f/8 refractor ( with Chromocor) on her HEQ5 mount , these aint to small .

The only differance is the tripod , with this a Williams Optics HD Hardwood tripod , this set up is very sturdy . Thats the weakness .The Tripod not the mount .

As to the photo say's , a good night I had as well .

Brian.

post-18525-0-32859700-1340626456_thumb.j

Saptharishi, I have used an 120ED on a HEQ5 Pro for quite some time, mounted in parallell to a ED80 as guidescope for imaging, and it's a trooper of a mount. More recently the 120ED has been replaced by an 8" Orion RC - a setup I've been too scared to put on the scales, but close to 20kg is my guess all included.

All my images but one in my little gallery have been taken with this setup. Now these images are by no means perfect but of all the problems I've faced and still struggle with, the HEQ5 has been the least of my worries in terms of final image quality. It tracks just fine, guides easily, it's light weight and worth every penny in my opinion.

I'd say that the next natural step up from a HEQ5 is not the 6 series. It's something bigger yet. If I was you I'd start cheap - then take a leap if you get the astro bug.

But this is just one of many opinions! Good luck!

Hi, I have a North Group 127mm Triplet APO and its easily carried by my Ioptron IEQ45 mount , very stable and its a breeze to set up and use , GOTO up and running in under 5 miniutes , I love this GPS , it makes set up a breeze . The triplets like mine are quite a bit heavier than the Synya 120mm APO's so it will be a good match .

One more thing , the IEQ45's are so sexy .

Give it some thought .

I dont think you will be dissapointed .

Brian.

Now that's interesting because my iEQ45 is unsatisfactory with long instruments and oscillates. With short tubes it does a very good job. It seems to be length rather than weight which is the issue. On mine I suspect it is the spring loaded drive mechanism which is overcome by the polar inertia of long tubes. My Tak EM200 and EQ6 will carry a TEC140 easily for imaging. The iOptron can't even carry it for visual.

I have had a guest use a 120 on an HEQ5 but the NEQ6 really would be a better bet. Our TEC140 is bigger all round than the 120 and the EQ6 manages it with room to spare.

Olly

HEQ5 and NEQ6 would both be fine even with all the imaging hardware.

You only need the NEQ6 if you start adding 5kg+ worth of dual mounting bar and Losmandy dovetails plus a second scope on top of all the imaging hardware.

Hi Keith, Looks like you have a lot of experience handling Vixen instruments. You had shared the details of Vixen product availability in India in a different thread. Can you share your thoughts (or any one in the forum) on Vixen SXW mount compared to HEQ5 Pro. The price of vixen SXW is very high compared to HEQ6 Pro. and hence the question to understand if the difference is justified.

Thanks and Regards,

Umasuthan.

IMHO Vixen is a reasonable alternative to Skywatcher. The main advantage of the GPDX mount is that it has been around for so long, and you can get good secondhand GPDX for less money than a used HEQ5.

Vixen GP mounts was the original mount from which Synta EQ5/CG5 copied from, and GPDX is the strengthen version of that mount. As a result you can also use accessories made for EQ5 on a GP. When you buy a mount you are normally stuck with the motors and controllers that came with it, but you can use motors and controller (GOTO or not) from a dozen third party manufacturers in the GPDX, Vixen, Skywatcher, IOptron, KAstec, Boxdorfer, Astromechanica etc ...

The GP is highly modular and can be reconfigured to suit your need. I currently use my GP2 as a GEM, photoguider, and equatorial fork mount. GPDX(D2) is substantially heavier, so I don't normally reconfigure it into these other modes.

Unfortunately, the Sphinx has none of these advantages and it's just a like other regular mounts. There are better mount out there for less. Mechanically the Sphinx is suppose to be better than HEQ5 and the GPDX, but it is let down by the software and Starbook controller. I'd go for a HEQ5 pro or EQ6 if they are easily available in India, but keep an eye out for a GPDX on the used market.

I don't own a HEQ5 so I don't know how that would compare with a GPDX first hand, but a GPDX will handle a 120mm frac. I wanted to mention the Vixen because Skywatcher isn't the only one who sells good sub £1k mounts.

Archived