NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unusual problem with Tal 1 - broken EP retaining screw

paf90

I don't know if anyone can help but the small plastic screw that secures the EP's in the drawtube on my Tal 1 has sheared off :embarrassed:

The EP's still stay in as it's a snug fit but of course it's not ideal and I was planning on selling my Tal 1 to concentrate on my Tal 2 as I don't really have the space for both.

Any suggestions? I know some of the Tal crew on here have had positive dealings with the Russians at the Novobirsk site but I haven't contacted them yet to see if I can get a replacement. I also need to (gently!) extricate the remaining screw thread that still in the draw tube, wish me luck! :eek:

get the remaining bit of screw out, nip to your local hardware place with ten bob. They are bog standard screws, you just need the right diameter and shape :)

EDIT-: make sure you get a flat ended, a pointed end wont do your EP's any favours

Thanks for the offer Andy McK (and also to the offers from AndyH & NicNac). I haven't removed the thread yet, and I've also made it a bit trickier to do as when I discovered it broken I was planning on an a couple hours of observing, so as the end of the thread waspoking into the drawtube I got a scalpel and sliced the end off thereby making it flush with the inside of the tube so allowing me to put EP's in! I'm not totally stupid as I did ensure that the fragment cut off couldn't fall down into the main OTA, however, I guess it would have been easier to remove if I hadn't performed surgery on it!

:iamwithstupid:

Archived