NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polarie Polar Meter

Walky

Has anyone tried this polar meter on a Vixen Polarie ? Does it eliminate the need to look for Polaris once everything else is done correctly?

I quote From the ad:

Easy 3 Step Set Up:

* Set altitude scale to your location

* Point the Polar Meter toward North

* Level the meter so that the bubble is centered

* Polaris is viewed through Polarie's Polar view

End of quote.

The only problem I see is the added weight.

post-19417-0-41157100-1339626270_thumb.p

That's new, I have not come across that one before and certainly not seen any European based suppliers selling it.

Unless I'm missing something I'm not entirely sure how much need there is for something like that, the instructions are fairly basic and the function(this may be the bit I'm missing) seems unnecessary....

http://www.vixenoptics.com/mounts/35511.html

I will admit that the compass and built in altitude level on the Polarie are a bit small to get an truly accurate reading but you don't really need anything accurate as long as you can locate Polaris, which is easy enough.

Plus most tripods have a decent spirit bubble on them too.

Like I said though, maybe I'm missing something?

We only just got confirmation of the factory pricing for this wee beastie today. It will sell at £49 in the UK.

One reason to have it is for alignment during the day for solar work (a polar axis scope doesn't really help if you can't see the stars :-)) and similarly if you are setting up in a place with a restricted view of Polaris at night (south facing balcony etc), this would help with alignment.

Samples and stock will be on their way to the UK this month so should be the same for US and European customers.

There's a copy of the user guide here:

http://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/PDFs/User%20Guides/Polar_Meter_User_Guide.pdf

HTH

Cheers, Pete - Opticron

You make some excellent points, ones that escaped me after midnight when posting last night.

To be honest that would of came in useful for the Venus transit or some of the hotels we stayed in with no Northern view.

I didn't think of it that way. :)

So, for a newbie on all things AP, does this little thing let me align with Polaris even if I cannot see it? I have that problem from my patio and I would like that very much. I mean, if i don't even hve to look through the small hole I can dig that. Just if it does that it is worth the expense. Sorry guys, explain to the newbie, non tech apprentice.

Yes, or at least it will get you as close as possible. It would be interesting to see some initial tests done with it to see how close you can get.

I have to stand corrected on my first comments and apologise for typing before I think.

I think it would be worth it especially if not seeing polaris is something you'd face regularly, quite possibly even essential.

I asked the suppliers about weight and several other things and they "don't know" . I found that answer unsatisfactory so I don't think I will order from them. Weight is essential since it rides on the Polarie. No info so far, I will ask Polarie.

Yep, the ad says it will fit....."Any instrument with a camera accessory shoe.''

Also I doubt the weight of the product would effect much as it is only mounted on the Polarie hot shoe and not the image train so it wouldn't be putting any extra strain on the motors.

I asked the suppliers about weight and several other things and they "don't know" . I found that answer unsatisfactory so I don't think I will order from them. Weight is essential since it rides on the Polarie. No info so far, I will ask Polarie.

Although it's in Japanese, this page shows the product announcement and includes info on size and weight:

http://www.vixen.co.jp/info_new.htm

You should be able to get a translation of the information on the Paula meter using Google :-) And yes, they really do pronounce it Porarie in Japan...

Cheers, Pete

LOL, here is a good translation!

Paula is a summary level meter, compass and inclinometer "was not likely" design.

When you take a picture with the star Kei, can be a (simple installation) using the polar alignment pole Polaris is not visible even if the meter "(WT) Porarie tripod starry sky".

It is also possible such as a camera attached to the accessory shoe.

<Patent pending> Got it!

Archived