NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My set-up

geoff_k

Not sure if this is in the right place, but in the process of taking some pictures of stuff I was selling, I took this of my current set up.

Scares the life out of me when I think how much I have (and what it all cost!)

Trouble is, it won't be the end of it.

Geoff

post-13129-133877330614_thumb.jpg

nitram100

The HEQ5 handles it without any problems although I suspect an HEQ6 would swallow it up and spit it out. I have used the scope on the HEQ5 for imaging, both planetary and some deep sky and everything seems to work fairly well.

My only concern with the larger mount is just that - it's larger and heavier and as I don't have a permanent setup (and I get back problems sometimes) that is an important consideration. If I had a permanent place to put everything I would certainly consider an HEQ6 or something even more substantial.

What mount is your Europa on now? Mine originally came with the Vixen GPE and wooden P90 tripod, and in my opinion, it wasn't man enough for the task.

Hope that helps.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, thanks for the info.

I've had my Europa for about 7 years now, i've upgraded the focuser to a 2 inch crayford, installed mirror fans etc but just haven't gotten around to replacing the god awful mount, the image shakes all over the place at the slightest touch of the tube. The vixen GPE would be a huge improvement on my current mount, which is called GEM1, they came with Europa's before they started shipping them with the GPE.

I think i might go for an HEQ5 in light of what you have said and as i don't have any interest in astro imaging this lessens my requirements. Are you able to focus the eyepiece on your Europa without the image shaking all over the place?

Thanks again,

Martin

Martin

Not too much shake with the focuser as standard (although I did replace the original load of rubbish with a Vixen one) and none at all really with the electric focuser. Judging by what you say, the mount also has a part to play and if you do get an HEQ5 you will definitely see an improvement.

Geoff

Archived