NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The roof goes on...

ollypenrice

Largely on a whim I decided, at the last minute, to make this rolling roof out of wood. I have made three full roll offs and one rolling roof in the past, all out of MIG welded steel. I just fancied a change. In part it was down to the weather, which has been either brilliant sun or thunderstorms and welding is impossible in both! I have to be outside for lack of space. Anyway, it seems to work fine.

Next will be cladding, probabably ply, but I have one new idea. This is just under 2x2 M which is big enough but not spacious, so I'm going to make a box on the outside north wall which, seen from the inside, will be a computer cupbaord. This means the computer won't take up floor space and can be kept behind a closed door to avoid stray light.

Internal height is 1.65 metres in the middle, enough to park a tandem rig horizontally when the roof is closed. This means we can still shoot low on all sides bar the North which doesn't matter anyway.

Olly (And Cachou says Hi and sends a wag.)

NEW-OBSY-3-S.jpg

NEW-OBSY-2-S.jpg

NEW-OBSY-1-S.jpg

In the top picure there's a large Lime Blossom tree (Unter den Linden!) and Polaris is above that, so it rolls off about NW. The NW horizon is rather elevated anyway so the rolled back roof is at about horizon height from the point of view of a telescope on a low imaging mount.

Olly

Archived