Best iPad Astro App

Hi,

I was wondering what app those who use the iPad when they're outside with the scope think is best? I've got a few and like some bits from some and other bits from others, haven't quite found one perfect app yet. I quite like Luminos, but also use Distand Suns and SkySafari Pro. What app do you think works best for you? Also, have you found an app that helps with Polar alignment? I've tried 'Scope Help' but I'm not convinced it's accurate. It's probably me though :)

cheers,

Matt

I use SkySafari but not the pro version, will be upgrading to that soon. Also use Planets, Hubble site, Distant Suns, Messier List, ipushTo, Scope Tools, Mars and Moon Globe and Astronomo. Also have Stellarium but dont like it much on the iphone.

I've got so many of the free ones I've lost count! :). In addition to the ones mentioned, I use Exoplanet, Kepler, 3DSun, Portal to the Universe (which I believe is an ESA app), Star Walk, Spitzer, Fermi Sky, NGCList and the usual NASA and ESA apps. I also use a torch app that allows me to change the colour of the torch to red.

How come I haven't heard of any of these besides Star Walk and Stellarium? I often search the App store but just find the ones aimed at kids.

Just do a search on Astronomy. You'll get about 4 pages of results returned ... though with quite a few astrology apps bunged in! :)

Cheers guys, Matt - I didn't realise you could operate the scope from it actually. Can I ask where you got the cable from please?

hi matt

no cable needed but you do need a mac

if youve got a mac or macbook do a search for eqmac buy hulse

its a stripped down eqmod for mac and you can get it set up to use skysafari plus or pro over wifi to a mac book connected to your mount( i have a heq5 pro with a hitech astro usb conector)

so you can do goto's slews and syncs from the comfort of the sofa then go out and observe

matt

Hi Matt,

I use Skysafari +. I didn't see the point of paying an extra £17 for stars I probably couldn't see even in my 10" Dob.

I use the Skywire as it's called to control my scope.

You can purchase the Skywire here

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Search.aspx?word=Skywire

I made the mistake of ordering from the US and then had to pay import fees, then discovered this in the Uk.

There is also a wifi version but I decided not to risk it.

Simon

Archived