NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to AP, winter months, large DSOs - advice

OK, so I can photograph the moon and the sun well and I'm now starting to want to bag some DSOs but I'm more than aware that this is going to cost me! LOL I'm planning for the winter months where we'll have the Orion Nebula, Andromeda etc, plenty of large, easy to see DSOs. Looking at the Occular plugin in Stellarium DSOs like these should pretty much fill my DSLR (Nikon D80) frame which is great. Now, without a guided mount (currently an EQ3-2 which I intend to get some motors for later this year), would I be able to get some ok shots of these DSOs with my D80 hooked up to the scope via a t-ring? Maybe ramp up the ISO and shoot in RAW? Will I be able to pull some detail out on relatively short exposures (10-20 secs)?

I'm not expecting to get the more distant and smaller DSOs at this point, I know that's going to involve a lot more financial investment, but I reckon I could bag the large ones that are visible with the naked eye and bins. Or am I being a little too simplistic about it?

Thanks for any tips, help or simply laughs at me ;)

Hi Daz, I think Orion will be your best target as it is relatively bright. The brighter the better for you as it means you can get away with shorter subs.

Having said that my advice to you would be to read up over the summer months, get out and practice your set up whenever you can and just try various objects when winter comes around.

Good luck!

Yes Lee, once this rain decides to go I'm going to see what I can push my camera to do, get a feel for iso settings, maximum acceptable exposure times etc. I reckon I can do a good job with Orion and Andromeda and see where I go from there. I know once I start getting some nice stuff I'll want to go further but that's what Christmas is for isn't it LOL :D

Another easy target at that time of year is M45, and its fairly high up so that will take you away from the horrid LP you get in Netherton. Mind you, you're on a high(ish) ground there so you might be ok for M42 if your views to the south are unobstructed.

Rob

Yes Lee, once this rain decides to go I'm going to see what I can push my camera to do, get a feel for iso settings, maximum acceptable exposure times etc. I reckon I can do a good job with Orion and Andromeda and see where I go from there. I know once I start getting some nice stuff I'll want to go further but that's what Christmas is for isn't it LOL :D

I think this is a great idea. Use the lighter nights to gather experience so that when the darker evenings come you're ready for it. Because good dark clear nights are always in such short supply, I always tend to dry run any changes to my workflow well ahead of time - just to make sure everything is working as expected, and I know how everything is supposed to work. The thing you don't want is to waste half an evenings imaging (or even worse, a whole evenings imaging), trying to fix problems because you're not familiar with the process, or software or whatever. Obviously, that's not to say that the occasional thing won't crop up (and they do!), but at least you'll be as prepared as you can be.

So, use the opportunity to master you polar alignment, and drift alignment if necessary, and practice taking darks, and flats would be my advice.

Hope this helps

Archived