Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

bright galaxys.

skysplitter

To find Andromeda, look at the other side of Polaris for a big W shape. The right hand part of the W (Cassiopeia) points down towards a bright star which is one in a straight line of stars. From the bright star, pan back towards the W until you find another dimmer star, keep going and you'll find another dim star not quite in line with the first one. M31 is just past that star and the other side of the straight line from the bright star to the first dim star, if any of that makes sense?

You'll see it as a dim fuzzy blob.

I think the next brightest is probably M81 which can be found near the big dipper. As it is in the sky now, imagine a line from the bottom left bowl star, through the top right bowl star. M81 is the same distance along the line again as the gap between the two bowl stars.

Kaptain Klevtsov

You might try M33, although it's not bright. I've found it in binocs because of its size and it's relative brightness to the background. Find M31 and follow the arc of stars toward Mirach, (the star KK mentions in finding M31). Continue the arc south the same distance as M31 is from Mirach and you should see it as a faint fuzzy.

The other two bright binocular galaxies I know are Ngc 253 in Sculptor and Centaurus A, Ngc 5128, but I doubt you could see either from the UK. Ngc 253 is listed as m=7.2.

Im afraid they are only small 8x30s but they are good fun and they are allowing me learn the sky(when i can see it :D)Im going to get me self a scope in october.

That's a great plan - binoculars are the best way of finding your way around the sky before taking the plunge into a scope :)

Can just make out M33 from my back garden with 10x50 binoculars on a good night but I do have some light pollution (streetlights) to contend with. If you have, or can get to, darker skies you will probably be able to locate M33 with your 8x30's - it is pretty faint though because we are viewing it face on so it's light is more diffused.

M81 and M82 would be worth a shot from a darkish site as well as Astroman suggests.

When you found M31 did you notice it's 2 neighbouring galaxies M32 and M110 ? - they might also be visible in your binoculars on a good night.

John

nope i didnt notice the m31s neighbors but i wasnt really looking for them.Im going to scotland this weekend so i will have a really good look and see if i can spot any other galaxys.I think its really exciting to be able too see light which has come from outside our galaxy.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the Casioppeia pointer reference useful but have to use 3 other stars from there to find it. Casioppeia's pointer points straight to Mirach (the next bright star in that direction). From this star go up to a fainter star above it then a further fainter star above that.. Andromeda is right next to that star just to the right. Andromeda can be a pain to find sometimes (surprisingly). These three stars are a godsend for me.

Vega

Archived