NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Compass App - Now with True North

SeedyF

Apologies if this isn't news - but I updated my compass app at the weekend and now it has True North as well as your standard magnetic!! I'll see how much difference it makes to me later in the week - my true north is off by 2 deg 43 mins. It might make a difference if your truen north is out by a bigger margin.

It's just called Compass for Android by Catch.com and it's a free app of course :(

I use an iPhone which comes with a true north option as standard but I just wish it was more accurate.

I eyeball my platform so its roughly facing N (say 356'), put my iPhone compass on it and move it a tad and it will swing all the way to 005'!! Arggghh!!! I then repeat that process for 5 mins until I give up and use a compass and polar align! :(

I use an iPhone which comes with a true north option as standard but I just wish it was more accurate.

I eyeball my platform so its roughly facing N (say 356'), put my iPhone compass on it and move it a tad and it will swing all the way to 005'!! Arggghh!!! I then repeat that process for 5 mins until I give up and use a compass and polar align! :(

I know what you mean - mine is always telling me about excessive magnetic fields in the vicinity or something and circling wildly despite the fact I am standing still. I end up with the real compass in my hand to do it properly!!

I hate compass 'apps' on phones, they always seem to lack the ability to work correctly.

As a backup in my astro toolbox I keep an nice ex army bakelite marching compass that has yet to fail me once, even when surrounded by quite a few powerful manetic fields from various power sources.

Technology is great, but we mustnt forget, sometimes the simple solution can really be the best

Archived