NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Software choice

I'm looking to improve my processing and so considering saftware options. I've got an ATiK 16ic and a Canon 300d (not used for astro work yet). As I'm now using FITS my choices might be a different to when I asked before (when I needed AVI handling).

So, what do you guys who use these already think?

Astroart - if Ian King reckons its good.....

Imageplus - I know its got some fans here

Maxim - I know its the bees-knees, but its too expensive at the moment to be in the running really

IRIS - Bern rates this, but says its not exactly user-friendly! anyone use it? I'm prepared to do some serious reading/experimenting if it really is that good - given its FREE!

Deepskystacker - been using this so far for stacking removing rotation, seem to be OK, buta one-tool package I think

Elements - using version3 at the moment, would upgrading be a good option?

Grateful for your experiences and advice (as always :D)

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen

Now that you have a 'serious' camera, then perhaps its right to get some 'serious' software.

In 'my book' that comes down to Astroart 4 (AA4) and Maxim DL CCD.

I have used AA3, now use AA4, and have also tried Maxim DL.

In terms of processing ability, IMO its six of one and a half dozen of the other. Both are very good at what they do.

As far as value for money goes, there is no contest, with AA4 winning 'hands down'. I have always believed, that Maxim is very much over priced.

In terms of guiding ability, Maxim may possibly guide just that little bit 'tighter', but if this is the case, it is VERY marginal.

Of the two packages, I would say that AA4 is more 'user friendly', but that's possibly just my personal preference.

Both manufacturers allow you to download a free 'trial version', so why not do that, and see what you think.

If you were to buy either of these products, you would not be disappointed, but one will cost you more than the other, while doing the same job.

As I said, just my personal view.

Dave

Yep , I agree with Dave.

AA4 - use it to control my SXVM7 , also use it to do the auto guiding using the SXVM7 as the guide camera. Had no problems and it guides accurately.

Images Plus - Great program , more for processing than image capture.

Registax - Use it for stacking , works well , Auto Setting good if you want to avoid the numerous options.

PhotoShop - Nearly every image I produce goes through this at some stage.

DSLR Focus - Works fine , had no problems with it.

John

PS Maxim - Good but expensive , worth it if you use it to cover more than one of the above programs.

Archived