NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M81 & M82 with NexStar 4SE

David JM

Try DSS for stacking DSO images - I don't think Registax is designed for this. Also, have another go at polar alignment - you should be able to get 60s subs without guiding. Drift alignment is best for accuracy. Hope that helps :(

Nice work David... when you say "a few 15 subs" - how many, what ISO? I've been trying to capture the same (or anything for that matter) with my 4SE but struggling with alignment & focussing.... so great to see someone else getting good results with a 4SE for DSO imaging.

Thats not bad for 15sec subs David. I take it you are using the 4SE on an alt/az mount?

Yes, on the standard mount. I tried to usit it with the wedge last night but I think a verier will help me get an accurate latitude setting. My mount is getting a bit poorly at the moment as well, I need to strip the drives [especially the alt] for a bit of TLC.

Nice work David... when you say "a few 15 subs" - how many, what ISO? I've been trying to capture the same (or anything for that matter) with my 4SE but struggling with alignment & focussing.... so great to see someone else getting good results with a 4SE for DSO imaging.

I didn't want to admit it was only six :( at 12800 ISO. Drop me a PM with your email if you are struggling and I'll try to help out.

You might be able to push past 20 seconds but the mount will hold you back. An alt/az mount not designed to be able to counter rotate against the earths motion as an equatorial would. You'll get better results with a wedge. I would drop to something like ISO1600 and take a lot of exposures, as many as you can get :( Don't worry about a tiny bit of rotation, stacking may take care of that. Try Deep sky stacker with your subs as it will produce better results and you can add calibration frames if you're feeling adventurous.

Archived