NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark Skies in Mid West Wales

stevetynant

I had thought about packing my gear away until the Autumn - but after being away for the weekend in Newquay in Ceredigion I stayed up to see a programme about the Bee Gees which was really good. Wife had long since gone to bed so thought I'd disappear for half an hour to a field close to our caravan but away from the park lights. I am so glad I did- absolutely amazing dark skies in this part of the world- it was after 1am when I went out and I know it will get darker but the Milky Way was stunning stretching out over the sea - only had my bins and no books but will definitely be taking by scope there later in the year - is an amazing place for star gazing - the Plough virtually disappeared in amongst the myriad of stars in the sky - if you get a chance to visit - make sure you at least have your bins - highly recommended

heres a photo much earlier in the night - Venus over the harbour.

picture.php?albumid=1964&pictureid=17612

stunning photo steve! i wish i was there how dark is it with the lack of astro darkness?

Gaz it was about 1.15am - late by anyones standards but if you had said it was the middle of winter I wouldn't have argued- the sky was amazing full of stars - the Milky Way was the best I have ever seen and I include my night up on the Epynt in January there - awesome - never expected t see skies like that at this time of the year - has made me think twice about putting the scope away now.

Naked eye double cluster, beeehive and lots of fuzzy patches without my gear didn't really know what I was observing if the truth be told- could have done with you there lol

Archived