NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to observe the sun through a Newtonian telescope

That'll work, you can buy ready made filters - generally the same baader film in a mounting, thou these are quite a lot more expensive. Make sure it's taped securely onto your scope.

Leave the caps on your finder scope, or remove it.

Just make sure to either filter up the finder as well, or have it's caps on (better). You pretty much don't want any optical components focusing sunlight without a filter, no matter how small their aperture is.

On that note, I had an idea; a kit that converts a 300mm dob into a (semi) portable solar power plant. You got the parabolic mirror, just need to replace the secondary with something that heats water inside, turning it into steam, and powering a turbine located somewhere near :(

On that note, I had an idea; a kit that converts a 300mm dob into a (semi) portable solar power plant. You got the parabolic mirror, just need to replace the secondary with something that heats water inside, turning it into steam, and powering a turbine located somewhere near :(

great idea...how much power could be generated if everyone used their scope for this during the day time when it isn't otherwise being used!!

That's a great idea. You could even build a solar farm of big dobs! :(

I think if you cant get the solar filter apperture made in time for venus i'm sure i seen you can also do projection with newt onto some paper make shade

was on sky at night last venus transit from 2004 and i seen the newt actually gived pretty good projection image onto white piece paper/card.

but never look through eye piece.

and put cap over any spotting scopes.

im sure with newt you can do same projection type like do with binoculars.

yes you can project sun with newt here video below from youtube

http://youtu.be/fpB5FZVqS5Q

hope that helps unless you got the solar filter and sorted for venus transit hopefully lucky enuff capture it.

i shall be having try on sunrise of 6th june if weathers ok.

I think if you cant get the solar filter apperture made in time for venus i'm sure i seen you can also do projection with newt onto some paper make shade

was on sky at night last venus transit from 2004 and i seen the newt actually gived pretty good projection image onto white piece paper/card.

I thought about that! Could it by any chance damage my eyepiece or anything? As I read somewhere that that could happen.

Also, thank you everyone for the replies!

I thought about that! Could it by any chance damage my eyepiece or anything? As I read somewhere that that could happen.

Also, thank you everyone for the replies!

It may damage the apparatus inside sealed telescope tube

think best for projection sun is to use binoculars

around 50 to 70mm binoculars give great projection

You can get solar filter for newtonium / or make one using baarder solar filter film and view that way / use cam for imaging.

Archived