NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27 Dumbbell - first light with mono ccd

I picked up a second hand mono atik 314L (not the plus) last week and had first light with it over the last two nights (how lucky am i with the current weather after buying new kit - it usually rains for weeks!!!).

Blimey! There is a lot to pick up and learn with a mono ccd. I'm used to DSLR imaging.

I think my spacing from chip to focuser needs increasing to make it a bit faster.

C925 with a 0.33 reducer - 5 min subs: x12 lum 1x1, x4 of each colour binned 2x2. It needs more data but I was falling asleep at 2.30pm.

M27-LRGBfinal.png

I started off stacking each filter capture in dss and then combined the three colors and lum in photoshop but this didn't look great.

So this is a stack using maxim dl and then curves/levels/color tweak processing in photoshop.

I'd love some feed back and any tips.

Great luck having cloud free nights - I recently got a camera as well and am pleased with the weather (but not the hours of darkness).

Dunno if you already know this, but if not - in DSS right click on one of your luminance images and select to use it as the reference frame.

Even when you stack the R, G and B leave the reference luminance frame on the list (just unticked) and DSS will magically manipulate all your L,R,G and B stacks so that you can simply combine them in photoshop. Obviously if you're binning, you'd have to stretch the binned images first to match for size.

Many thanks Gina,

where did you buy it second handed, please?

Im interested im something like that as well!

Thanks!

I got it from astrobuysell. Obviously you have to be careful on there that the advert is genuine but the guy I got it from was very helpful.

Thanks dmahon, yes I had tried using a reference frame but it didn't seem to work for me (not aligned right). Over on astroshed Keith advised me of a couple of extra steps in dss which i'm gonna try.

Archived