NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So I accidentally looked at the sun on my ipod twice today for the length of time it took to realize that i was looking at the sun, then moved my ipod and my eyes away, would that be enough to damage my eyes?

No. You may be seeing spots (and i dont mean sunspots) for a while after but the zoom on an i-pod,i-pad,i-phone is NOT the same as magnification that you get with a scope or bins.

Observing the Sun with a scope or bins even on the lowest magnification can and will most likely damage your eyes.

DONT EVER DO IT WITHOUT THE CORRECT SOLAR FILTER IN PLACE.

P.S.~~~how do you look at the Sun with an I-Pod?. Isnt an I-Pod a digital music player?

Hopefully it will serve as a warning that its not a good thing to do :( if it was a telescope, you would probably be posting from a hospital bed

Hopefully it will serve as a warning that its not a good thing to do :( if it was a telescope, you would probably be posting from a hospital bed

Apparently even viewing the Sun through the viewfinder/LCD screen of a DSLR camera is fine because it offers no magnification. Still not something worth doing because if anything it may damage the camera..............but not likely.

Well it was the reflection, i was reading my ipod to see what was playing. And it was only for a split second both times. The ipod touch is what i was using at the time has a camera, but i am not stupid enough to look at the sun with it.

Apparently even viewing the Sun through the viewfinder/LCD screen of a DSLR camera is fine because it offers no magnification. Still not something worth doing because if anything it may damage the camera..............but not likely.

Crucially' if you dont have a full solar filter you are fubared, fix that with 9eclipse

Archived