NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some Eyepiece Experimentation!

Damo636

I was conducting some eyepiece experimentation last night and stumbled across an unlikely combo that works amazingly well. Firstly, in order to get my XW's to come to focus in the Antares 1.6x 2" barlow I had to fit both of them with these ....

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/scopeteknix/accessories/low-profile/eyepiece-adaptor.html

which converts the eyepiece into 2" fitment semi permanently. Now they come to focus and all my ep's are in 2" mode which is nice and convenient:)

Anyway, for the sake of experimentation I thought I'd try my 26mm Nagler in the barlow and low and behold it was a revelation! I had expected the eye relief to be extended to an uncomfortable level but instead what I got was a remarkably sharp virtual 16.25mm Nagler. I have tried this eyepiece in the 2"2x Powermate and as you would expect there was no loss in quality of view. To my eyes though, the views with the 26/Antares combo is fabulous considering the price difference! A great piece of kit for very little money.

Damo, when this sits in the focusser, are you saying you can use 1.25 and 2" EPs, or am I not getting the point?

I have a 2" to 1.25" adaptor at the moment, that I have to remove when going from a 1.25" to a 2" EP, does this somehow oversome this inconvenience?

Barry

Gotcha! Handy! How does this work with dust caps? Sorry, realise this is somewhat off topic.

Barry

I still use the original 1.25" caps, just about enough of the

barrel is still sticking out to fit them securely on the XW's.

I've always thought the Antares 2" 1.6x barlow a rather special optic. It's just a pity they are so hard to come by :(

Why are they so hard to come by in the UK? They are readily available from the USA for around £70. This is my second one but this one won't be going anywhere.

Why are they so hard to come by in the UK? They are readily available from the USA for around £70. This is my second one but this one won't be going anywhere.

I really don't know :(

I've read that the optics in them are the same as those used on the much revered Astro Physics Barcon:

http://www.astro-physics.com/index.htm?products/accessories/visual_acc/visual_acc

The 1.7x can be accounted for by a slightly longer body on the AP Barcon.

Archived