Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me with my Nexstar 130 SLT

honestly, I need help/advise.

I just got the Celestron Nexstar 130SLT as my first real scope and have been playing with it on many nights so far.

As of yet, I really havent seen anything that makes me think I have money well spent. I did see the moon which was the coolest thing I have seen, but thats it. I cannot see Saturn at all, Mars is nothing, no galaxies whatever...

Seems each time I GOTO align and get a confirmation on my scope, I always seem to be off when I look at anything.

I only have what came with the scope, a 9mm and a 25mm ep. Are they good for anything or just a basic?

All the reviews say this was a good scope and thats why I went with it, and I am willing to accept some newbie operator error here, but honestly, I am pretty disguraged right now.

Can anyone help me a little or give me some pointers?

thanks in advance!!

I haven't had my SLT that long but have noticed that firstly the mount needs to be dead level. Secondly, when using the align process, it makes a difference to the acuracy if you find the star with the red dot, centre in the scope with the 25mm EP then centre again with the 9mm EP.

With my 127 I can easily see the rings of Saturn and the phases of Venus as well as many doubles and some DSO's so you should be seeing at least that with your Newt. However the seeing hasn't been great this week.

Keep at it and good luck.

I've an old SLT. I found you needed to be dead level, and one leg (marked N for North) pointed North. Also remember that a slight knock on the tripod can move things off centre.

I'm also finding it hard to see much unless I wait for Midnight and that's using my two scopes.

you should see Saturn with the 9mm but start off with the 25mm.

Mars is very small and galaxies very faint (at best of times) - remember you'll not see thing like the Hubble telescope or in books and mags.

keep trying, you'll get there.

Patience is a virtue so they say!

Tonight I was able to finally located Saturn! It was a little smaller than I expected but I am very happy that I was able to see it. I found it with my son so it made it even better!

I think my biggest problem has been using the star align. I was always using 3 objects that were relatively close in the sky mainly cause I didnt think it mattered a whole bunch, but tonight I used 3 that were in opposite ends of the sky and it seemed to line things up better.

Im getting the hang of it, thanks for the help!!

I haven't had any issues with mine at all. I've only had it for a month and have seen more than a few galaxies and Saturn is amazing. But like others have stated make sure it's level and try not to bump it. Once you bump it you have to realign, and as you have just found out pick things far apart. Divide the sky up into thirds with different declination also. The closest objects I use for an align have been Saturn, Mars, and then Venus but that is only for a very quick get going night.

I haven't had any issues with mine at all. I've only had it for a month and have seen more than a few galaxies and Saturn is amazing. But like others have stated make sure it's level and try not to bump it. Once you bump it you have to realign, and as you have just found out pick things far apart. Divide the sky up into thirds with different declination also. The closest objects I use for an align have been Saturn, Mars, and then Venus but that is only for a very quick get going night.

you are able to see galaxies with yours? Which ones and is that with the eyepieces that came with the scope or with additional pieces?

I think my biggest problem has been using the star align. I was always using 3 objects that were relatively close in the sky mainly cause I didnt think it mattered a whole bunch, but tonight I used 3 that were in opposite ends of the sky and it seemed to line things up better.

Im getting the hang of it, thanks for the help!!

Yes, as you have discovered, it does matter. You do need a resonable amount of seperation between stars - usually one towards the west, one towards the east and for a 3 star align one somewehere in between - to give the GOTO the best chance of making an accurate calculation. The GOTO on an Alt-Az mount will compensate to some extent if the mount is not absolutely level, but ideally it should be as level as possible.

Incidentally, it is usually best not to align against planets. Use only stars that are bright enough to be easily seen and identified.

The information here might also be useful:

http://www.astronomyforum.net/celestron-nexstar-telescope-forum/113735-what-your-nexstar-manual-doesnt-tell-you.html

you are able to see galaxies with yours? Which ones and is that with the eyepieces that came with the scope or with additional pieces?

The Galaxies/DSO's you will be able to see will depend mainly on how much light pollution you have in your area. If you have a lot of LP you'll struggle to find them or even see them in the telescope depending on their relative brightness.

Yes I can see galaxies with mine. I start out using a 32mm and then go higher magnification until I find a sweet spot of size and clarity. Using the supplied 25mm and 9mm you should be able to see everything. Like others have said light pollution is the biggest factor in seeing. I have an extremely hard time seeing nebula with mine and wouldn't recommend this scope for that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Archived