Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tripod recommendations for Celestron 15x70 Binoculars...

Hi.

I'm a complete beginner (see my post in the Welcome section) and after searching on this site for recommendations I went out yesterday and bought a pair of Celestron 15x70 binoculars plus a Planisphere to (try) and find my way around.

I now know what people mean when they talk about vibration and tremor. I need to buy a tripod.

Can anybody recommend one? Ideally under £40.00p (or is my budget unrealistic?).

Thanks.

any tripod is better than holding by hand, but 40 quid wont get you too far. remember that even with a standard camera tripod - you wont be easily be able to see right up to zenith (directly over your head)

you should consider building yourself a parralellogram type mount "google it" you will find some clever designs for binocular stands BTW I have the same binos meself and built a mount for bits of deckchairs and table legs :)

Have to agree with the above comment. You can buy a tripod for £40 but it will be too short to be truly practical for astronomical purposes. You don't give your height but this tripod from FLO is the tallest I have seen (180cm) that is under a £100 that is also sturdy enough to carry your binoculars. There will still be a problem seeing very high up in the sky but that is the nature of these pan and tilt tripod heads - they are limited in their tilt. You might want to take a look at this site in order to understand what is out there and the solutions to the above difficulties. If your DIY skills are not up to making a parallelogram mount, you can buy one here although they aren't cheap. Hope that helps.

James

Archived