How much force needed to rotate Skywatcher dob mount?

I've just got a Skywatcher 200P dob, drawing heavily on comments and feedback here as my first scope.

I took it along to my local AS this week and the main comment was that it seemed very stiff to rotate the mount on its azimuth.

Is this normal for this mount? I've actually found the most accurate way to rotate it has been to use the tensioner/handle on the mount rather than to try and push/pull the scope as the scope moves very easily up and down and is far more likely to do this when I'm trying to rotate it if I try and push the eyepiece.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Hi Peter, thanks for that video. My mount does seem to be significantly stiffer than those in the video. The 4 pads are present. I've also taken a look at the bold holding the 2 plates together just now and this isn't overly tight so isn't the cause.

Archived