Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoviewers & DSO

Hi,

Am interested in getting a pair of Binoviewers (currently only have a 6 inch newt).

I appreciate that to make the image split into both eyes I have to halve the amount of light available.

Do Binoviewers work well for teasing out more detail on DSO (Galaxies mostly)? I appreciate that for brighter objects like the moon and planets they would probably show massive viewing improvements but I spend most of my time on DSO (Globs, Open Clusters and Galaxies) and would want to get the most out of the binoviewers on these objects.

Also seen an amount of choice. FLO only stock WO so I wondered if there is a reason for this? Revelation do a pair for just £110.

Your viewing will be more relaxed for sure, and that might give you a better experience during your observations. There won't be any increase in resolution capability though. Only objective size has a bearing on resolving power I'm afraid.

Ron.

Will it decrease though? That was my worry - I am a little concerned that DSO may get worse by halving the available light to make 2 images.

I did read somewhere that using both eye adds an approximate feeling of 40% increase in aperture because both eyes are engaged even though you aren't actually increasing anything... probably a subjective opinion rather than fact. I do find that my 20x bins feel like I'm seeing things in much greater detail than my scope with one eye at 30x mag. Is definitely better using both eyes hence my interest in binoviewers :)

rambling now...bored at work.

I had a 50mm monocular a few years ago, and a pair of 10x50 binos. I remember my view of M42 being quite comparable in them both.

Not a scientific comparison, but certainly a practical one. I don't think you will suffer loss of brightness using the Binoviewers.

I'm sure you will get a response from a member who has experience of Deep Sky viewing through B/Viewers though. Just

to give you more confidence before you buy.

Ron.

Thanks Barkis ;) I think they would be a good idea. I do intend to move to a Dob at the latter half of this year as well so any advice on BV's on a Dob would also be very welcome :) Want to get a Dob for the start of the winter viewing

Will it decrease though? That was my worry - I am a little concerned that DSO may get worse by halving the available light to make 2 images.

I did read somewhere that using both eye adds an approximate feeling of 40% increase in aperture because both eyes are engaged even though you aren't actually increasing anything... probably a subjective opinion rather than fact. I do find that my 20x bins feel like I'm seeing things in much greater detail than my scope with one eye at 30x mag. Is definitely better using both eyes hence my interest in binoviewers :)

rambling now...bored at work.

It could be due to the eyes being more relaxed, and perhaps a greater dilation of the pupils because of that relaxation, and that could give a feeling of more brightness. I'm no Optician, but it seems a logical conclusion to me.;)

I have done a bit of research in this myself. Getting binoviewers to work with a newt is quite difficult due to where they focus. Fracs and compound telescopes are easier. You need a barlow I think :)

Just as a matter of interest regarding dso's, with my bv and 20mm ep's, was looking at m81,m82, these are faint smudges in my 8" dob, when viewed through the bv, one side it is visible but the other side I see nothing, I would imagine its the same for most fuzzies. Open clusters and things like m42, m45 are breathtaking as they are bright enough that a little light loss in one eye makes hardly any difference. The only thing that is a pain in the backside is finding grub screws to fit the ep holder. Also, the wo binos are better than the revelations,I have had both.

Archived