Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Optics 200 on HEQ5pro.

Yo,for the last two years I've spread the word of the mighty Dob. "Don't like refractors", now I've got two.Then came the eq mount "not getting one of those,all that setting up")to track planets using RA motor.That was a revelation.

I've always been sceptical of automatic/techno solutions.Old school combines with slide rule man,many hours of school sword fights including the deathly slide out middle section. Did we really use logarithum books?I'd seen folk with goto manuals at star parties still scratching around for an hour.

Then I had a chance of a refurb goto to put a refurb 2nd hand tube on.After 3 attempts and silly errors, all I can say is WOW! If you get silly errors then just persist,you'll learn so much of how the system works. This system is a doddle to set up, even in the darkio.

The ota is f6 and this has given clear x240 and above on planets.Mostly it's used with a 21mm Hyperion,a few (15) eps and a Telrad. The focuser is a Revelation two speed which came with the ota.The ota is 1200mm long and balances perfectly with 3 weights spread evenly along the bar.It certainly helps to have 2 securing bolts to the puck.

The accuracy and tracking and set up speed is impressive.What is amazing is that there's more background preperation and planning involved to view reasonable and interesting targets. Basically I just concentrate on one area of the sky and a few constellations at a time.To pick out the best I trawl the net, books and observing reports here. Thankyou to all those who post.

This system means no more frustrating half hours looking for deep sky objects or working out if you've seen a cluster or just stars! With limited viewing time this goto just packs so much in.I replaced the latitude adjustment bolts with upgrades and use a 12v leisure battery.

Being an avid deep sky fan and retired I am lucky enough to get out at every oppurtunity, the next stage will be a mod to the laptop.

If you're thinking of this goto, don't hesitate .Best of all the refractors and smaller tubes can use the mount.It's certainly not cheating and best of all it works,almost forgot;nice.

Nick.

Archived