NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky Scanning with binoculars

Does anyone use binoculars to scan the sky before heading to the finderscope/eyepiece and if so what sort do you use ie. 8x40, 10x50 etc ? I've just bought a 200p dob but haven't got my mits on it yet as it's my birthday present (torture! lol) and wondering if it might make the target locating process a little easier.

Because the human eye's average pupil size at night (this is when you'll be using them) is over 7mm(around 9mm for teens) in order for your binoculars to be comfortable when using them you should look for at least a 5mm exit pupil.

Although a 5mm exit pupil will allow you to dark adapt much quicker and still give great views, you do loose some light.

7x50 binos give 7mm exit pupil.

10x50 binos give 5mm exit pupil.

15x70 binos give 4.6mm exit pupil.

The 15x70 would be my choice as they have similar exit pupils to 10x50 and the 15x70 gather loads more light than 10x50 with better magnification... but you will want a steady hand!

A set of 7x50 are great due to less magnification and are lighter and easier to keep still... plus they have near to no light loss.

(it is a wobbly world through binos)

Myself... I have 6 pairs! all different!

:)

i use a pair of 8x40s before i go scoping. althrough most of the time i forget bout the scope and just use these:P

usally the 15x70s need a tripod and heavy duty L bracket as they are heavy with short periods (althrough i struggle to hold my 8x40s sometimes)

theres a cracking website made by one of our members tenturture (steve) and its really helpful on objects to look at in bins as well as how to choose your own set

http://binocularsky.com/

my 15x70's are as garethmob says... heavy. But they are light buckets. On slightly cloudy nights I do not bother with the telescopes and settle for these instead as they are easy to get out and easier to put away. Great for breaks in the cloud.

I attach mine to a mop pole (yes a mop) and rest it on the ground and bring the binos to my eyes. very little holding needed and much steadier. Read a post on this forum about it a few months back now and have used this methed ever since. it works and is cheap and easy.

Amazon have a monopod which is excellent value at £9.99, plus £10 for a sturdy L bracket. The wobbles will then be a thing of the past.

I always take my TS 10x50 bins out with me and I find that I use them more than the scope. They are great for cutting through light pollution and haze to find hidden gems. Last weekend I pointed tham at an apparently empty piece of sky and within a couple of minutes I had found the Coathanger - nice.

i was hoping someone might be able to help me out, i would like to see venus pass the sun, and was wondering if its possible with binoculars and what i could do for a cheap filter. if any one could help i'd be greatfull thanks!

i was hoping someone might be able to help me out, i would like to see venus pass the sun, and was wondering if its possible with binoculars and what i could do for a cheap filter. if any one could help i'd be greatfull thanks!

Thats something im planning of doing myself considering it only happens once in a lifetime on this occasion. Its very possible with bins while using baader solar film for example. But before you use this do some research in how to make one, have a chat with people that have successfully done it on here. Im sure this forum has this experience and could guide you.

I can imagine that looking at the sun through bins is like looking at the moon (in size) and to try and spot something that will look like a speck of dust on your eyepiece is pretty challenging to say the least. Im saying that because i only have 12*50. It will be cool if you have a far better pair of bins.

Knowing our luck in the UK its going to be cloudy in June as the seasons seem to be taking its toll lol

Failing that i would miffed off if this wasnt on the news/youtube/a local astronomer or club where you could watch it perfectly and safe.

Yes i know not the same, but good luck anyway and do take care

Amazon have a monopod which is excellent value at £9.99, plus £10 for a sturdy L bracket. The wobbles will then be a thing of the past.

I always take my TS 10x50 bins out with me and I find that I use them more than the scope. They are great for cutting through light pollution and haze to find hidden gems. Last weekend I pointed tham at an apparently empty piece of sky and within a couple of minutes I had found the Coathanger - nice.

The monopod is what I am referring to with my MOP MOD.

:) Gaffa tape for the win!

If you purchase some Baader solar film

(1xA4 sheet of special solar film £15)

you literally just secure it to the end of the lenses (skyward side not your eyepiece side(bigger lenses))with some cardboard and tape/glue.

There are tutorials on here somewhere.

As long as it is covered in it's entirety you will be safe to aim them at the sun. The film is coated on both sides so no worries about the sun blinding you. This is the safest way to view the transit with normal kit. A telescope will be much more rewarding though.

ALSO make sure you have eyeshields on the eye-rest to block any excess sunlight. These tend to fold down and provide much needed eye relief.

Venus is a lot bigger than a spec of dust on the sun with bins during a transit. It is a rather large dot and it moves supprisingly quick at the limbs.

hey you just hijacked my post :)

sorry mate, i thought it might be useful to a binocular thread rather than start one myself and only get a couple responses :)

no worries dude. i've got a good bit of advice from this so far, so not complaining :headbang:

Thats what i will be doing being a newbie, im also waiting for my 200p for my birthday in another couple of weeks. I use the bins now to locate things and once i have found them there getting stored in the head ready for the scope

hi ObscuredbyClouds. that's a coincidence! we were both lucky to be able to get hold of one i reckon, they've been in high demand recently, i've been trying to get one since around feb/march i think. what date's your birthday? mine's 1 june. i've been doing the same as you except i had to hand my bins back as they were borrowed, but have made my mind up and purchased a pair of 10x50's today which i'm going to use with my scope, when i finally get to use it. can't wait to get my hands on it, bet you feel the same! lol

Archived