SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another night of galaxies

mdstuart

Armed with my list from using the 3000 DSO objects book I hunted some new moderate brightness galaxies that are still missing from my 500 galaxy list..

Tonight I started with NGC 5444 which was well overhead and was relatively easy to see which supported the moderate brightness assesment by the books author...Surprised to be able to see NGC5446 in the same view..small and very faint..

The NGC5440 which was on the same carte du ciel chart and again no problem a larger lower surface brightness. Next to a star so like a little M63.

I thought I would try NGC 5529. Its listed a faint but edge on. I just love edge on galaxies. This was very tough. Just visible at times with averted vision. Really slender. Looked at a photo of this one. Its stunning..Imagers get on the case with your RC 20 inch with 15 hours exposure please!:)

Tried NGC 5375 from the Taki atlas without a CDC chart and found it!

Then NGC5582..I could see this one in the 17mm lens despite it being pretty faint. I certainly would not say it was moderately bright..

Finally tries 5598 on the same CDC chart as 5582..Again it was possible but very faint and small..

A great night for me. This book is really going to plug the gaps in my lists..

Mark

(The galaxy hunter)

Well done Mark sounds like a great night. Your comments about 5529 piqued my curiosity so I had a quick look at my records - I tried it with an 8" in 2006 but failed - sounds like I should give it a go with the 12". It's Herschel Class III so WH obviously found it tough - congrats on bagging it with your 10".

Archived