SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focuser visible in stars

Took some of my besta subs yet last night and came across a little problem - the end of the focusser is visible in the stars in the image... I've just spent some time looking through the Imaging section at other peoples images using the same scope (SW 200PDS) and DSLR and can't find any with the same problem.

here is a full size and a crop of the same image. Does anyone have an idea why my scope has this problem but others don't?

post-24384-133877773079_thumb.jpg

post-24384-133877773082_thumb.jpg

(I see Olly is checking out this thread too so may cross post here as I write - anyways I'd trust Olly over me)

Are you sure that it is the focuser and not a result of pinched optics? Your secondary mirror is not visible inside the star - since each star is made up from light from the whole mirror surface - so forgive me if I'm wrong but then why should this little piece be visible?

Does it remain there as you defocus on a bright star?

Archived