Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron HD vs Celestron 'normal'

Doing some forward planning on a scope for my urban site. I've pretty much ruled out any widefield, fast imaging setups for here so I'm looking at scopes for planetry/lunar imaging with DSLR's and fast webcams. Which brings me the long focal length C9.25 & C11 SCT's.

Has any had any practical imaging experience with HD and non HD versions of these scopes? I'm wondering if it worth the extra expense or whether the same result can be achieved with less expensive field flatteners and coma correctors?

EdgeHD have build in special flatteners. Not needed for planetary, but for DS imaging they are a good addon. The disadvantage is the price (you need also a matched focal reducer to get sane f-ratio for DS imaging).

I would say the non HD version would be perfect for you. I've got an 11 inch version, and it's perfect for webcam imaging. You could spend a lot more money on the HD version, but I wouldn't have thought that it's worth the extra money.

Cheers

Archived