Recommendations IF it clears tomorrow night.

My 1st scope arrives tomorrow (explorer 150p) If I manage to get it set up AND it's clear (highly unlikely looking at forecast) what would people recommend as good first observation targets ? Ideally looking to the west to avoid the orange glow of heathrow and London from where I am. Can't wait to get my hands on my new toy.

If you're looking West, Mars and Regulus should be fine from about 10/11pm onwards. Saturn will take a wee while longer for you, but from midnight on, should be fine-ish. If you're sticking around the constellation of Leo where Mars and Regulus are, and weather permits, you may also want to try your hand at M65 & M66.

I'd download Stellarium if I were you.

For the moon, you're gonna have to wait some - early morning - if you want to view it from the west.

Hope that hopes some...

If you're looking West, Mars and Regulus should be fine from about 10/11pm onwards. Saturn will take a wee while longer for you, but from midnight on, should be fine-ish. If you're sticking around the constellation of Leo where Mars and Regulus are, and weather permits, you may also want to try your hand at M65 & M66.

I'd download Stellarium if I were you.

For the moon, you're gonna have to wait some - early morning - if you want to view it from the west.

Hope that hopes some...

M65 M66. Like the sound of that. Have just downloaded Stellarium. Will take a look. Thanks.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning. Just got a text from delivery firm .... scope due to arrive between 9.25 and 10.25 so my wait is nearly over ... or rather another wait starts, for clear skies. Must take a patience pill.

Dissapointment.... glad I took that patience pill. So my package arrive bang on time @ 10am. The driver pulled up outside, went to the back of the van and pulled out a small plastic bag which he asked me to sign for. I explained that I was expecting a dirty great big telescope, not a small plastic bag. "Well thats all I've got for you" was the reply and off he went, radio blaring. I opened the bag to find the astro engineering accessory pack (part of my bundle deal) A quick phone call to the supplier and I found that my scope/mount is on a seperate delivery by a different currier who don't give texts/emails. They investigated for me (very helpful) and told me that it was planned for today but will now be tomorrow.... and they can't give an estimated time. Doh !! Another night reading up then !!

Mars is right near M95, M96 and M105 this week - if you get your scope in time, and it stays clear, you can try for all 4 of those. See this for more:

Finally after another day of frustrated waiting my 150p and EQ5 Pro have arrived. Weather is **** so at least I can concentrate on practicing settign up indoors. Wife's first comment was "I didn't realise it was that big". ... but she is excited for me :clouds2::hello2:

Archived