NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which solar filter on which of my scopes.

ccbmedic

Like so many of us, I'm starting to get a little fed up of my equipment gathering dust with this current spell of bad weather. I've now decided to take the plunge and get a solar filter but which one do I get and on which scope? I have a 127 Mak and an Ed80 refractor. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Chris:icon_salut:

Get one for the ED80. You don't need so much aperture for the sun and the smaller scope is enough to give plenty of resolution for surface features. The Baader film (or premade filters made with it) are wonderful.

Hi Chris,

I just went through the same thing and took the plunge with the Baader filter (I got the ready made AstroZap one from FLO) for my 80mm refrector. I had my first go with it today and really enjoyed it. Based on what I saw I would agree on the comments above regarding aperture - the best views seemed to be at around x50-x80 magnification (well within the capabilities of the 80mm refractor) but anything more than that and the seeing meant the image started to break down.

Cheers,

Paul.

Archived